Surgery for Incontinence. Any had this? Know anyone who has??

During a doctors appointment today it came up that I have a small amount of stress incontinence after my 5th baby (now 4 years old). The doctor was keen to refer me to a specialist with the possibility of corrective surgery.

What has been your experience with this? Or what accounts of stress incontinence surgery have you heard? Should I be worried, wary or excited?

Big thankyou for your time and help.

[I'm in the UK, so this wouldn't cost me anything]

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2013 in Health

• I know a gal who did this a few years ago and was thrilled she did. Not a big deal to her but I didn't ask for details.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• When i had my c section (surgery) it caused incontinence for about 4 days.. how bizarre... lol

good luck though :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Surgery, no... but I worked at a PT clinic where we did PT for it.... had great outcomes too.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Have you tried Kegels, Ben Wa Balls and Pelvic floor exercises, or are you just interested in taking the easy route?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I would start with what PartyGalAnne said. I know there is a thing called a Pessarie that my Mom's friend has. I found this site
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/womens-health/incontinence/preventing-and-treating-urinary-incontinence.aspx
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I would think surgery would be the last resort.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• My sister-in-law had this done before the holidays and she feels great and is so happy she had it done. It wasn't the mesh, it was something else. I will try to find out over the weekend, but she is thrilled with the outcome.
    Lilly829

Answer by Lilly829 at 2:59 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I had a bladder sling put in because of my stress incontinence three years ago. I actually had suffered from it long before that (after my 1st child 8yrs ago) but just dealt with it. I am very happy I had the procedure done. I haven't had any complications since and it is nice not worrying about "sneezy pees" and being able to run and exercise without worrying about leaking.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Thanks for your comments everyone. All good advice. It was encouraging to know those who've ahd it or know those that have all had good outcomes. Phew. Thanks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2013