Were there school shootings when you were in school?

Just curious, seems alot of people think its a new trend or something.

Columbine occurred when I was in 8th grade. 9/11 happened (not that it was a shooting, but a widespread act of violence & terror) when I was in 10th grade. I was taking some college courses when Virginia tech happened.

Do you think there are more happening now? Admittedly sandy hook was seemingly more awful because it involved such young children, and it's the first elementary shooting I've heard of.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes- you just hear more about them.

LINK

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I am sure that school shooting occurred when I was a kid but they weren't broadcast on the news. At my high school we had three bomb threats and one vandalism in the four years I was in attendance and we lived in the middle of no where. The media is trying to get ratings and the more sensational the story the higher the ratings when we were younger it was more about reporting the news and not getting ratings.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• No, columbine happened after I graduated
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 3:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Almost the same as you, apparently I was a year behind you. Also there was a girl shoot on Auburn University's campus the semester before I transferred there.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Absolutely not - OTOH, I grew up in Scotland, another world entirely.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• They've always happened, its not something new that just suddenly popped up, we are just more aware now because we have more opportunity to find out about them. It isnt just the newspaper anymore, its the newspaper, smart phones, internet, cable tv regular tv...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• We had bomb threats at my high school almost once a month, if not more. This was nearly 10 years ago
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• There was one on one violence. Metal detectors were just being indroduced at the inner city schools. I had to look to find this- odd I don't remember hearing about it.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Not that I'm aware of
    I graduated in 1991

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I remember coming to school one day in the 4th grade and checking out the bullet holes in the library windows because someone had shot them up the night before. But that school was in a baaaad neighborhood and shit like that just happened.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2013