How can the "governement" get businesses to stop paying workers cash or under the table?

What can be done to stop paying illegals or day laborers with out the government's knowledge?

angeladh82

Asked by angeladh82 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• How about instead we tax the money that they wire home? Since we will never be able to find everyone, we could have the government make a larger claim on US dollars wired outside of the country.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Raids. Audits. That's all.
    kk_bella

Answer by kk_bella at 11:39 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• make it a more serious criminal offense
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It's not just illegals that get paid under the table. I did for three years. It was half under the table half in a paycheck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It's not very often (in my experience) that the government will do anything AT ALL.

I used to work for a bank, and we had a man who owned a construction business who would come in every Friday, withdrawal thousands in cash, and distribute it to the 7 or 8 Hispanics standing in the lobby. We knew that they were illegal, we had reported it, and nothing was ever done. That was....3 years ago.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:46 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It will be difficult to monitor everyone. Like the above poster, they can use scare tactics..if you get caught these are the penaltes. However, it has been going on for years, because of TAXES, people. And with the ways things are going....it will probably happen even more. TAXES will become a major issue in the days, months and years ahead of us.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• The same way a drug dealer sales drugs to an under cover cop/FBI agent!
    TWEETYMAMA07

Answer by TWEETYMAMA07 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It's not always illegals or daylaborers. My grandfather was paid under the table and he was born in this country.I guess when you have someone working for less money it's not something you wanna keep on the books
    sierra_617

Answer by sierra_617 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Some people get pd under the table to avoid taxes and if you make less than $40 per day, who can blame you? The rich people don't report a lot of their income in a lost of cases to avoid taxes, so what is wron w/ a poor person doing it?

But, illegals are a whole nother ball of string. I don't know if there is a way to stop that.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:58 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Raids, I agree with, deport the illegal criminals. Fierce fines on the employers who are doing this (first offense, fines, second offense, close the business). ICE sweeps and arrests of all these illegals standing on the corners for day labor. Seal the boarders and stop continuing influx of illegals into our country. Repeal the Anchor Baby Law. Don't make it so appealing to be an illegal criminal in our country. As far as the American workers getting paid under the table, audit businesses.

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2009