My son just doesnt listen!!!!!

I yell at my son SEVERAL times a day for not listening. Time outs do nothing, he has one toy left because I take one to the basement each time he misbehaves. Something needs to change or I just might snap! I tell him to stop something, he will either keep doing it or do it one more time before actually stopping, he wont leave our puppy alone, everything must go his way.. the list goes on and on. Its getting out of control, someone pleassseee help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• is there something else you can take from him besides toys? would grounding him work instead? how old is he?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Have you had him evaluated for ADD or ADHD? There could be a biological reason for his behavior. I'd examine all possibilities. Are you rewarding him for good behavior, too? He might be confused if you're constantly yelling and it would help him if you clarified and rewarded good behavior. Is he like this certain time of the day? Does he need more physical exercise to get that energy out?
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 9:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Time outs don't work in this age range. Those are for toddlers

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• He may be board... taking away toys for minor infractions leaves him with nothing to do but bug the dog or you. Try redirecting. The more you yell the more he'll tune you out. Time outs do with at this age... still works for my kids. You have to be consistent with that too - if they come right out of time out and do that same thing then you put them right back in. Even if you have to do that all day. Time outs don't work if YOU are being lazy and inconstant with them.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Well, if he only has 1 toy - what do you expect? He has nothing to do but misbehave! You need to find another way to discipline him. Take away TV time, or outings. Be consistent with time outs or whatever punishment you choose.

Consider too: Are you punishing over things that don't really need punishment necessarily? I'm not saying let him get away with things, but more of a...pick your battles kind of thing. For example: he's talking to you while you're trying to concentrate. Maybe instead of taking away a toy (which isn't going to make sense to him, and won't make him stop) you could stop and listen to what he has to say then send him to do X while you do what you need to do. Or tell him to give you X minutes to finish what you're doing and then you'll listen to his story.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:13 AM on Jan. 12, 2013