Can a hospital keep you there if you want to leave?

Heres the story from the beginning. My sister said she had to pick up her SO at work and this was at midnight. So she left her 3 kids there cause they were all sleeping, or so my sister thought. Well at about 2:30am, her dd woke her up and was making a weird moan and wasn't acting like herself, and wasn't walking right. So she took her dd who is 7 yrs old in and they find out her daughter took something, and they determined it was Tylenol PM. Several hours later she needed to get home and take her SO to work and take a shower and such. She told me when she got to the lobby, the security guard said he had orders to make her stay, and she said she saw another guard take down her license plate down. She asked why and one of the nurses said they thought she was to tired to drive,m so they wanted to her to stay there.
So my question is, is this right, or do you think there is more to the story then what my sister is telling me.

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:16 AM on Jan. 12, 2013 in Health

• I think that they are keeping her there because she left her children home alone and one took something that was in reach and dangerous to the child. If that is the case then they can keep her their until they get ahold of some one from CPS or something like that. Now thats assuming that she told the doctor what you put here, that she left them home alone. Or they may have another reason they want her to stay.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 1:23 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Usually no unless one is incarcerated or going to be. But if I am reading the story correctly than I agree with pp.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• it is very possible that pp is rigth ro that they may feel yor sister is taking soemthing ans "too tired"
    they cant make your sister stay but if she has nothing to hide and they wont release her daughter then why not stay anyways?
    I hope they are both okay
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:28 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• if she told the hospital what she told you, id bet they wont let her leave b/c of the Tylenol and her leaving them there alone. the hospital has to make CPS calls when they suspect something's not right. the nurse probably did tell her that tho...to keep her from getting upset over the real reason.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:29 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Well if someone is deemed a danger to themselves or others, yes. I think it had more to do with the incident than being too tired to drive. They may have been making a report to CPS.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• How old are the three kids?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:35 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• What the hell? She left her kids for two and a half hours? I cannot follow this question how it is written. I am super confused!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:39 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Yes, I did find out CPS was called. Her 7 yr old took 15 of those Tylenol PM's. I am beyond livid!! She has 3 kids....A 12 yr old...9 yr old and the 7 yr old. I guess the 12 yr old took one and didn't put it back, according to her. But I still am finding a hard time believing that story too. But the 7 yr old is good, no permanent damage to her liver. CPS is coming out Monday to inspect.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Sorry Staci, my sister was only gone 20 mintues
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:45 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Did she wake up the oldest one so he was aware he was to be watching his siblings? Why the hell was he taking a tylenol pm in the first place?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2013