How long did it take you to recover from a c section?

I had an emergency c section with my son nearly a year ago. Since having it, I've noticed that I'm very tender still to this day on the scar, plus my left leg is constantly numb and in pain from the epidural injection site. My OB when I saw her months ago said that this was normal, including feeling like there's almost like a small tear inside/near the incision. I'm told by other moms that this is normal but I'm curious how many other ladies have the same issue?

raye-chan

Asked by raye-chan at 5:37 AM on Jan. 12, 2013 in Health

• Now the numbness in your leg/s is not normal. IMO.
    It took me a couple of months to feel almost normal. Couldn't do a lot of lifting of a while.

Answer by louise2 at 7:07 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I felt pretty normal after two weeks, but I have a high pain threshold and heal quickly. I couldn't life things for a while though. I never had a problem with my scar feeling tender, but I know others who have. I don't think the leg thing is normal either.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:32 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I have no lingering affects whatsoever. I had a csection 4 years ago and another one 2 1/2 years ago. It took me 5-6 weeks before I felt totally back to normal and could move without any pain at all. I have some areas of numbness right along my incision, but I don't ever really notice it unless I'm feeling for it.

Answer by missanc at 9:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I've gotten conflicting things about the leg numbness. Some say normal while others say it's not. I think the most bothersome about the scar is the fact that it's tender and it itches, all the time lol

The whole lifting part was what really got me after having one. I pulled a couple stitches the first week home because I often times had to carry the car seat with my son in it upstairs. D:
    raye-chan

Comment by raye-chan (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Yeah, I have a picture of me carrying the car seat and my son in the first day we got home. I literally held it for about a min and felt like I had torn everything up just from that. LOL, that sucked. I do remember mine itching, but that does go away. The leg numbness, I really don't think that is normal this long after the birth. I would get a second opinion from another doctor just to be sure.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:32 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I recovered very quickly with both. Never had any issues after that either. I had the first at 19 and the second at 23. I remember taking a walk downtown with the second when she was one week old. I felt great!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:58 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I had experience similar to kmath and M-avi. I didn't take too long to heal and didn't have any lingering affects and I did a fair amount of moving around shortly after getting home. Every once in a great while I feel a pull there if I move in an awkward way. I never had any leg numbness.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:30 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• No, leg numbness is not normal.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• The leg numbness is one of those rarely mentioned fine print possible side effects from an epidural.

I had a rough recovery from my c/s. But, I ended up with blood pressure issues, an infection, and a few other complications. Even now (more than 7 years later), I have no sensation anywhere near the incision.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2013