What a terrible Christmas present! :(

One of my dau's friends has parents who recently separated. Dad moved out & got his own place before Christmas. Then on Christmas day, the parents got together & told the kids they were getting divorced. Really?! Why not wait?! That's just terrible timing IMO. It couldn't wait a day or 2? What do you think?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 8:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2013 in General Parenting

• Yeah, I agree with you there. I would be pissed if I were those kids. Now Christmas is always going to be a day to remember for them and not in a good way.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:03 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Holidays- the time to go batshit crazy on your family

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:53 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Who does that to their kids? Then again, the dad moving out was a clue that something was up, depending on how old the kids were they probably already had it figured out.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I'm sorry, but for my kids I think I could stick it out until January so as not to ruin Christmas every day for the rest of their lives.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Wow, I agree, how self-centered and thoughtless can parents be?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:11 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Yeah, I don't agree in general in putting off divorce for the children, but, yeah come on, they could've waited until Jan.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• They probably though it through stupid. Like 'Hey maybe if we do it on one of the happiest days of the year it will lessen the blow!' See the backwards logic? It would not surprise me. Some people are just not good at actually, for real, thinking things through.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• What a shitty thing to do.
    My father left my mother on December 4th, when I was 5 years old.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:33 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• That's a horrible time to announce something like that. How sad for the kids.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• those poor kids...i cant imagine how difficult life is when you have selfish parents...cause they obviously didnt think about their kid's well being with that move!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2013