Asking for prayers on behalf of someone-even when they didn't ask

I see a lot of requests for prayers on here FOR other people. And others quickly oblige. What if those families do not wish for prayers to your specific god? Why if it goes against their very own beliefs for a prayer sent in their name to what they may consider a false god. Do you consider this at all when answering a prayer request for a stranger?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2013 in Religious Debate

• If I am asked to and feel compelled to "pray" for them I will. My thought is.. If it goes against their wishes, then it won't be received. I always word it along the lines of " do what is best for that person and according to their beliefs" But I do consider the beliefs of the family/person the request was made for.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I simply say good thoughts.
    However, praying for someone is arrogant. It is also an attempt to manipulate free will, which I will not do. *shrugs*
    Sekirei

Answer by Sekirei at 1:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I figure if I'm hurt, sick, in trouble, etc that I'll take any help that I may get. I may not believe in your God he may be different from my God but if you want to pray to yours to help me I won't complain.

It simply shows that you care about me and are trying to help in anyway that you can.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• It's offensive bc it's a selfish act.
    As well as thoughtless. Unless it was specifically asked of you to do it.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:17 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• and if they don't believe in God and think he is a fairytale

For the 2nd time this week -not worshiping a deity is not the same as not believing in it, and not believing in a specific one is not the same as being an atheist.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:25 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I guess I don't understand why someone who doesn't believe in God would see any harm in it - it is meant as a positive thing and good wishes. If I feel that someone needs prayer, I will pray for them silently. I usually will not tell them unless I know them well or can tell that they would be receptive.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Just playing devils advocate? How is it going to hurt them, if you pray for them? What if they don't know, and if they don't believe in God and think he is a fairytale, what is the big deal. Isn't it all good thoughts towards them anyway, if he does not exist? What is the big deal? Why be so offended?

Anonymous

• I don't ask anyone to pray for me, or for anyone else, but don't really care if someone says a prayer for me.  I'm one of those who believes that the only one who benefits from prayer is the one doing the praying.  I don't think prayer helps or harms anyone, but I do think that if someone is opposed to another praying for him or her, their wishes should be respected.  Otherwise, I'm not into mind control, and don't think it matters one way or another if someone says a prayer - it's no different than them reading a passage from a book, or thinking a thought.  It's just words thought or spoken.  Actions matter far more.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• I don't pray at all. Nor do I expect others to pray for me. I'll ask for well wishes/good energy & emotional support because, IMO, that's all human beings can really give. Unless, they themselves know how to fix a problem (ie someone's health, legal or financial issues).
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• It doesn't matter which God or what they believe, it is all meant in good faith and love, sending only good vibes....

Answer by older at 8:07 AM on Jan. 13, 2013