Asking for prayers on behalf of someone-even when they didn't ask

I see a lot of requests for prayers on here FOR other people. And others quickly oblige. What if those families do not wish for prayers to your specific god? Why if it goes against their very own beliefs for a prayer sent in their name to what they may consider a false god. Do you consider this at all when answering a prayer request for a stranger?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Putting aside the entire issue of forcing someone into obligation to a deity against their will. This is my other issue with those type of prayers. When my mother was dying we had to make the agonizing decision of whether or not to put her on a feeding tube. She was already so far gone that she didn't even feel a spinal tap, yet her brain was constantly causing her body to jerk and respond. We chose to let her go instead of torturing her with more tubes and machines that likely would do no good.

Knowing this, some people still insisted on praying for her to wake up, open her eyes. What fucking cruel people who, knowing our wishes for her to go in peace, wanted her to wake up to excruciating pain to fulfill their own greedy need to not feel pain at her passing. Rarely are those prayers EVER for the sake of the person who is sick.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I feel that my loving God cares for all of His children and I pray for all.

Answer by Bmat at 9:09 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• If someone asks for my prayers I'll say prayers for them.  I have prayed for people even if I don't know their beliefs but it's a lot like thinking good thoughts for someone, I pray a lot and sometimes people or situationscome to mind.  If I know someone doesn't want my prayers I would respect that and not pray for them.  However I don't normally tell people I'm going to pray for them, for me it's just part of who I am.  I normally don't pray for specific things.  I pray for wisdom, strength, ect., for myself and others.

If someone wants to say a prayer or good thought for me I wouldn't mind at all,  if it was done completely out of love,  even if we didn't share the same beliefs.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I pray for everyone, everyday!
    I dont need permission, I will not specifically tell someone that I know does not believe that I will pray for them but I still do it
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 10:33 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• i do not "pray" for anyone who I am not in direct contact with,whose life does not touch mine
    my beliefs tell me that everything that happens for a reason,so I am not allowed to interfere,as harsh as that sounds
    Prayer is personal,and should be used to ask for guidance and to ask for god to help you cope,not for things to change
    I've always thought that god would not want her/his children to constantly be complaining and whining

I get annoyed when some self righteous person tells me they'll pray for me because they've deduced that I need help.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• If a person says that such and such person or family asked for prayers, I don't see anything wrong with it. If it's not specifically stated that a person requested it, I get a little annoyed both at the person asking others to pray for someone, and with those doing the praying. Not because I am offended by prayers, but how do any of those people know that they are not doing more harm than good? There are religions where it makes things complicated for the individual if someone prays on their behalf to a god they don't associate with. So the person doing the praying may have the best intentions, but they are actually doing more harm to the person than good.

As I said in another question, it's the refusal to acknowledge this simple fact that bothers me. Regardless of the intent, it comes off as arrogant and/or ignorant. i just wish people would keep that in mind when praying for others. Is it really going to help them?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I don't ask anyone to pray for me, or for anyone else, but don't really care if someone says a prayer for me.  I'm one of those who believes that the only one who benefits from prayer is the one doing the praying.  I don't think prayer helps or harms anyone, but I do think that if someone is opposed to another praying for him or her, their wishes should be respected.  Otherwise, I'm not into mind control, and don't think it matters one way or another if someone says a prayer - it's no different than them reading a passage from a book, or thinking a thought.  It's just words thought or spoken.  Actions matter far more.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• and if they don't believe in God and think he is a fairytale

For the 2nd time this week -not worshiping a deity is not the same as not believing in it, and not believing in a specific one is not the same as being an atheist.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:25 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I simply say good thoughts.
    However, praying for someone is arrogant. It is also an attempt to manipulate free will, which I will not do. *shrugs*
    Sekirei

Answer by Sekirei at 1:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I don't pray at all. Nor do I expect others to pray for me. I'll ask for well wishes/good energy & emotional support because, IMO, that's all human beings can really give. Unless, they themselves know how to fix a problem (ie someone's health, legal or financial issues).
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2013