HELP!! My Son will NOT try ANY new foods EXCEPT mac & cheese & pizza!!!

I need advice, I got some from the pediatricain, my son who is 5, will NOT try ANYTHING new. I took his snacks away and offered new foods, and he will go hungry, and then I cave because he is hungry and I end up giving him what he wants. He will not eat ice cream, chocolate CANDY, which isn't bad but he wont try it!! wont eat anything, his food groups are: mac & cheese, pizza, nuggets, sausage, bagel & cream cheese, spaghetti, oatmeal cookies, and cheese its, and pringles. nothing healthy. he will not eat lunch at school, and he GAGS when i tried to get him to try anything new. advice help please, thank you!!!

MS1979

Asked by MS1979 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2013 in Kids' Health

• It could be a textural issue. My DS would do the gagging thing and actually make himself vomit at times. It's incredibly frustrating to deal with that. On the bright side, my mom said for about a year the only thing my brother would eat was American cheese. The Ped said, 'if that's all he'll eat, then give it to him. He won't die'.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but this is likely something he will get past. Maybe take him for an evaluation and get him cleared for any other issues that may affect taste.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• The problem isn't him, it's you. I'm not trying to be mean, but you yourself said that he knows you will cave. This will carry over to other things as he ages if you don't stop it now. You are the parent!
    Barring any physical issues, serve a meal. If he doesn't eat, he doesn't eat. He will not starve himself.

Answer by missanc at 12:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• if he wont eat it out of a different container then trick him- I do it all the time.
    Keep a few of the microwave mad containers, wehn you make the box for you and who ever, put some in the container and set it in front of him. IF he truly gags then, you know its more to it. (I know they both taste different and i hate the mocrowave ones)

Cereal....go buy a ceareal container....then put what you have of a name brand in it when it is empty add the generic to it see if he really can tell
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• if its just stubbornness and not some actual physical issue (texture etc) then its you. stop caving! he will NOT starve to death. unless there is an underlying reason, he eats that way b/c he knows you will let him, you said so yourself. being a parent means making your kids do things they dont want to do or suffer the natural consequence (hunger).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Offering regular foods often must be a key. He should feel comfortable by the table, so one of his selections should always be there. And keeping him exposed to variety should not hurt. Flinstones multivitamines a must (or different). Not too much fluids at day time, only water through the day, and juices/milk to meals to help him understand we eat to feel strong.
    kujus04

Answer by kujus04 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Don't give in - that's why he keeps refusing, he knows you'll cave - you can't do that or it's going to be a never ending cycle.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 2:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Stop making this a struggle. As long as there is a battle it will continue. Stop making his limited food list. Make him something new (or simply something that youi like) every day. Do not cave. He really won't starve. If he makes a fuss or gags, walk away. This won't be solved overnight. DO NOT CAVE.

Good luck.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:41 AM on Jan. 13, 2013