HELP!! My Son will NOT try ANY new foods EXCEPT mac & cheese & pizza!!!

I need advice, I got some from the pediatricain, my son who is 5, will NOT try ANYTHING new. I took his snacks away and offered new foods, and he will go hungry, and then I cave because he is hungry and I end up giving him what he wants. He will not eat ice cream, chocolate CANDY, which isn't bad but he wont try it!! wont eat anything, his food groups are: mac & cheese, pizza, nuggets, sausage, bagel & cream cheese, spaghetti, oatmeal cookies, and cheese its, and pringles. nothing healthy. he will not eat lunch at school, and he GAGS when i tried to get him to try anything new. advice help please, thank you!!!

MS1979

Asked by MS1979 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Stop making this a struggle. As long as there is a battle it will continue. Stop making his limited food list. Make him something new (or simply something that youi like) every day. Do not cave. He really won't starve. If he makes a fuss or gags, walk away. This won't be solved overnight. DO NOT CAVE.

Good luck.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:41 AM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Don't give in - that's why he keeps refusing, he knows you'll cave - you can't do that or it's going to be a never ending cycle.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 2:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Offering regular foods often must be a key. He should feel comfortable by the table, so one of his selections should always be there. And keeping him exposed to variety should not hurt. Flinstones multivitamines a must (or different). Not too much fluids at day time, only water through the day, and juices/milk to meals to help him understand we eat to feel strong.
    kujus04

Answer by kujus04 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• if its just stubbornness and not some actual physical issue (texture etc) then its you. stop caving! he will NOT starve to death. unless there is an underlying reason, he eats that way b/c he knows you will let him, you said so yourself. being a parent means making your kids do things they dont want to do or suffer the natural consequence (hunger).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• if he wont eat it out of a different container then trick him- I do it all the time.
    Keep a few of the microwave mad containers, wehn you make the box for you and who ever, put some in the container and set it in front of him. IF he truly gags then, you know its more to it. (I know they both taste different and i hate the mocrowave ones)

Cereal....go buy a ceareal container....then put what you have of a name brand in it when it is empty add the generic to it see if he really can tell
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• The problem isn't him, it's you. I'm not trying to be mean, but you yourself said that he knows you will cave. This will carry over to other things as he ages if you don't stop it now. You are the parent!
    Barring any physical issues, serve a meal. If he doesn't eat, he doesn't eat. He will not starve himself.

Answer by missanc at 12:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• It could be a textural issue. My DS would do the gagging thing and actually make himself vomit at times. It's incredibly frustrating to deal with that. On the bright side, my mom said for about a year the only thing my brother would eat was American cheese. The Ped said, 'if that's all he'll eat, then give it to him. He won't die'.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but this is likely something he will get past. Maybe take him for an evaluation and get him cleared for any other issues that may affect taste.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Well the orange thing, I tell him that IS how orange juice is made, they make it out of oranges. And applesauce they make it out of apples. And that Apple juice is made out of apples. He doesn't like anything he is not familiar with. Its not that I am trying to make him eat things, he doesn't like but making him try it! So I will hold my ground, and go shopping, and let him know he will not be getting his usual junky crap, and that he will be getting other things. Like the mac & cheese, he likes is the cup of mac & cheese the microwave kind. Now if I take that same mac & cheese out of this cup and put it in a bowl he will argue that it is NOT the same. I made the box of mac & cheese before, and said its the same thing. Tried a bite and gagged and said it taste awful!
    MS1979

Comment by MS1979 (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Oranges dont taste like orange juice- I hate the juice love the orange itself
    I will not eat or drink things that are flaovred with the syrup flavors or koolaid type flavors

taste buds do change but I do not think that drastically at 5.

I would seek a feeding therapist and if they say its not an issue then you hold your ground and you let the chid be hungry. As hard as it is, I tell mine if she wont eat she atleast has to have a glass of milk and peanut butter on a slice of bread but that is ALL she will get until she eats her lunch , dinner what ever
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I just went through this a couple of weeks ago when mine wouldn't eat some broccoli and rice. He threw a total shit fit and threatened to throw up (when he's pissed, he will make himself throw up), and I sent him to bed. The next day he swore he would never eat again. At 3:45 in the afternoon, he said he was ready to eat, so he ate the broccoli and rice from the night before, then said it wasn't that bad and that he felt silly. I served the same broccoli and rice a week later with dinner, and he gobbled it up without a word.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2013