HELP!! My Son will NOT try ANY new foods EXCEPT mac & cheese & pizza!!!

I need advice, I got some from the pediatricain, my son who is 5, will NOT try ANYTHING new. I took his snacks away and offered new foods, and he will go hungry, and then I cave because he is hungry and I end up giving him what he wants. He will not eat ice cream, chocolate CANDY, which isn't bad but he wont try it!! wont eat anything, his food groups are: mac & cheese, pizza, nuggets, sausage, bagel & cream cheese, spaghetti, oatmeal cookies, and cheese its, and pringles. nothing healthy. he will not eat lunch at school, and he GAGS when i tried to get him to try anything new. advice help please, thank you!!!

MS1979

Asked by MS1979 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2013 in Kids' Health

• You may want to consider an evaluation from a feeding therapist is he is literally gagging when trying new food.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:11 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I think its because its new. He is very very stubborn, he wants to smell everything, and says it smells so good! But wont try it. If I put say just noodles and butter, (hold the speg sauce) he will gag because its different. He wont eat it if its in a different box or container either.
    MS1979

Comment by MS1979 (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• First, I would have him checked out to make sure there are no actual issues with food/eating. Some kids do have real issues with it, and if that's the case, you have to figure out how to deal with that while still feeding him healthy foods.

Barring that, if you stop giving in, he'll start eating. He has to know that you mean it when you say this is dinner and if he doesn't eat it, he's going to go hungry. It won't take more than a time or two of going to bed hungry to learn that you mean it and he better eat what is put in front of him. But right now, he knows that you'll give in, so he knows he doesn't have to eat anything he doesn't want to.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:23 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• First I would make what he will eat healthier. Add veggies to the mac & cheese and pizza. Buy the Veggie chicken nuggets instead, Buy only 100% whole wheat or veggie pasta. When he gets used to that start gradually introducing more.

Some people are naturally difficult eaters but, most picky eaters are made, not born. Because parents let them continue their behavior.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:33 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I'd start with trying healthy versions of what he already eats. There are some great cookbooks out there for making a variety of mac and cheese and pizza, nuggets, etc. Furthermore i would offer to have him help pick out what you're going to make and help make it. Kids tend to me more accepting of "new" foods when they have assisted in choosing and making them.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• The pediatrician said he will eat when he is hungry. So I tried but gave in, and he defiantly knows i will cave. The thing is he used to LOVE all foods. Eggs, pancakes, waffles, all meat, gravy, rice you name it he ate it, then I don't know what happened. i know this is my fault, he didnt learn it on his own, its very frustrating. just now, i actually, got him to try some popcorn! and he liked it! the other day i tried to get him to eat some oatmeal 2 different kinds, he liked the apple oatmeal, but wouldn't admit it, and it was a fight, and he gagged. Also he wont even try cereal! And cheerios was his favorite!
    MS1979

Comment by MS1979 (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I have tried sneeking veggies, in and problem is, he likes frozen pizza. Then I said lets go to the store, and you pick out things you wanna try, he picked out alot, cereal, fruit snacks, you name it. So then the next day I put it in his lunch, and he will not try it. Its still in my cabinets. I let him help me make things too, and nothing. Its just sad at a birthday party he will be the ONLY child not stuffing their face with cake & ice cream he will sit there! Also will not try any new juice either just apple. He used to love all juicy juice too. He drink milk, apple juice & water, but he does love orange juice with pineapple in it, So I grabbed and orange and tried to explain, that the orange is how they get orange juice. Nothing.Seems like at this point its a very very bad habit I have to break =/
    MS1979

Comment by MS1979 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I just went through this a couple of weeks ago when mine wouldn't eat some broccoli and rice. He threw a total shit fit and threatened to throw up (when he's pissed, he will make himself throw up), and I sent him to bed. The next day he swore he would never eat again. At 3:45 in the afternoon, he said he was ready to eat, so he ate the broccoli and rice from the night before, then said it wasn't that bad and that he felt silly. I served the same broccoli and rice a week later with dinner, and he gobbled it up without a word.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Oranges dont taste like orange juice- I hate the juice love the orange itself
    I will not eat or drink things that are flaovred with the syrup flavors or koolaid type flavors

taste buds do change but I do not think that drastically at 5.

I would seek a feeding therapist and if they say its not an issue then you hold your ground and you let the chid be hungry. As hard as it is, I tell mine if she wont eat she atleast has to have a glass of milk and peanut butter on a slice of bread but that is ALL she will get until she eats her lunch , dinner what ever
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Well the orange thing, I tell him that IS how orange juice is made, they make it out of oranges. And applesauce they make it out of apples. And that Apple juice is made out of apples. He doesn't like anything he is not familiar with. Its not that I am trying to make him eat things, he doesn't like but making him try it! So I will hold my ground, and go shopping, and let him know he will not be getting his usual junky crap, and that he will be getting other things. Like the mac & cheese, he likes is the cup of mac & cheese the microwave kind. Now if I take that same mac & cheese out of this cup and put it in a bowl he will argue that it is NOT the same. I made the box of mac & cheese before, and said its the same thing. Tried a bite and gagged and said it taste awful!
    MS1979

Comment by MS1979 (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2013