HELP!! My Son will NOT try ANY new foods EXCEPT mac & cheese & pizza!!!

I need advice, I got some from the pediatricain, my son who is 5, will NOT try ANYTHING new. I took his snacks away and offered new foods, and he will go hungry, and then I cave because he is hungry and I end up giving him what he wants. He will not eat ice cream, chocolate CANDY, which isn't bad but he wont try it!! wont eat anything, his food groups are: mac & cheese, pizza, nuggets, sausage, bagel & cream cheese, spaghetti, oatmeal cookies, and cheese its, and pringles. nothing healthy. he will not eat lunch at school, and he GAGS when i tried to get him to try anything new. advice help please, thank you!!!

MS1979

Asked by MS1979 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2013 in Kids' Health

• First, I would have him checked out to make sure there are no actual issues with food/eating. Some kids do have real issues with it, and if that's the case, you have to figure out how to deal with that while still feeding him healthy foods.

Barring that, if you stop giving in, he'll start eating. He has to know that you mean it when you say this is dinner and if he doesn't eat it, he's going to go hungry. It won't take more than a time or two of going to bed hungry to learn that you mean it and he better eat what is put in front of him. But right now, he knows that you'll give in, so he knows he doesn't have to eat anything he doesn't want to.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:23 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• The problem isn't him, it's you. I'm not trying to be mean, but you yourself said that he knows you will cave. This will carry over to other things as he ages if you don't stop it now. You are the parent!
    Barring any physical issues, serve a meal. If he doesn't eat, he doesn't eat. He will not starve himself.

Answer by missanc at 12:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• First I would make what he will eat healthier. Add veggies to the mac & cheese and pizza. Buy the Veggie chicken nuggets instead, Buy only 100% whole wheat or veggie pasta. When he gets used to that start gradually introducing more.

Some people are naturally difficult eaters but, most picky eaters are made, not born. Because parents let them continue their behavior.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:33 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I just went through this a couple of weeks ago when mine wouldn't eat some broccoli and rice. He threw a total shit fit and threatened to throw up (when he's pissed, he will make himself throw up), and I sent him to bed. The next day he swore he would never eat again. At 3:45 in the afternoon, he said he was ready to eat, so he ate the broccoli and rice from the night before, then said it wasn't that bad and that he felt silly. I served the same broccoli and rice a week later with dinner, and he gobbled it up without a word.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• You may want to consider an evaluation from a feeding therapist is he is literally gagging when trying new food.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:11 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I'd start with trying healthy versions of what he already eats. There are some great cookbooks out there for making a variety of mac and cheese and pizza, nuggets, etc. Furthermore i would offer to have him help pick out what you're going to make and help make it. Kids tend to me more accepting of "new" foods when they have assisted in choosing and making them.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Don't give in - that's why he keeps refusing, he knows you'll cave - you can't do that or it's going to be a never ending cycle.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 2:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Oranges dont taste like orange juice- I hate the juice love the orange itself
    I will not eat or drink things that are flaovred with the syrup flavors or koolaid type flavors

taste buds do change but I do not think that drastically at 5.

I would seek a feeding therapist and if they say its not an issue then you hold your ground and you let the chid be hungry. As hard as it is, I tell mine if she wont eat she atleast has to have a glass of milk and peanut butter on a slice of bread but that is ALL she will get until she eats her lunch , dinner what ever
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• It could be a textural issue. My DS would do the gagging thing and actually make himself vomit at times. It's incredibly frustrating to deal with that. On the bright side, my mom said for about a year the only thing my brother would eat was American cheese. The Ped said, 'if that's all he'll eat, then give it to him. He won't die'.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but this is likely something he will get past. Maybe take him for an evaluation and get him cleared for any other issues that may affect taste.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• if its just stubbornness and not some actual physical issue (texture etc) then its you. stop caving! he will NOT starve to death. unless there is an underlying reason, he eats that way b/c he knows you will let him, you said so yourself. being a parent means making your kids do things they dont want to do or suffer the natural consequence (hunger).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2013