How do i deal with my son's fits?

My son is 4 and his fits have gotten extremely bad lately. Used to just be a little yelling and crying. Now when you tell him to do something or not do something, his fits become out of control. for example:
When I tell him to do something or not to do something he argues with me. He will tell me no and when i ask him again he will scream it at me. I usually lightly pop his mouth when he screams at me and tell him not to. When I do this he says "too hard!" Then when I just walk him to time out he screams "hurt me!" over and over again.

I don't know what to do when says stuff like this.

His fits have also progressed to him throwing things or punching things. I just don't know how to deal with these fits anymore.

orchidjade

Asked by orchidjade at 12:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2013 in General Parenting

• Have you tried spanking his butt? We spanked for 2 things: disrespect and disobedience. This qualifies on both counts. You tell him up front that he will be spanked for these specific behaviors. Then when he does them, you take him to a private location and spank him on bare skin with an "instrument" of discipline, which you use each and every time. You then hug him and tell him you love him too much to allow him to get away with such behaviors. At four, he is plenty old enough to understand actions and consequences. This needs to stop now because it will only get worse as he gets older.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• do you tell or ask him?
    if you are asking ans he says no then really he does not need to be disciplined because you gave him a choice

If youare telling him to do something and he goes ballistic then you make him go to his room until he calms down ans is ready to do what he is told.

Most children test and pitch fits at this age. Our 4 year old wen through the same and has learned that when she is being defiant that we will do as we said.....if we said you loose tv- she lost it etc.

Be frim and consistent
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• in response to NannyB. yes i have spanked him. that's when he comes back with "too hard!" then "hurt me!" or "harder!"

in response to luvmygranbaby. there are times where i have ASKED him to do things but most of his outrageous fits come from him being told to do or not to do something. i try to use time out instead of sending him to his room because i don't want to make him think his room is a bad place.
    orchidjade

Comment by orchidjade (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I spank unless its no longer effective. Have u tried time outs? Have u tried taking everything away from him until he calms down and behaves? How does he respond to affection?
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2013