Catholic Elem School vs Seventh Day Adventist?

I am considering enrolling my son in a private school this fall and we have two options in our area- one is Catholic and the other is Seventh Day Adventist. The Catholic school is a little further and has about 400 students. The SDA school has about 125 students and does mixed grade levels. They are the same price.

I am very familiar with Catholic schools but know nothing about SDA- Any ideas on which is better academically? I don't personally know anyone at either school. All I really know about SDA is that their beliefs are very different - more strict maybe than Catholic?? Need some advice!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Academics are going to depend on the individual school and not the religion. You should tour both and ask them lots of questions. Personally I would lean towards the larger school but that's just me.

Answer by missanc at 12:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• What are your own personal beliefs? You should be aware that in either school the curriculum will include religious instruction according to the beliefs of the school.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• You should visit each school. Find out about their curriculum, teaching methods and test scores. What school makes the best fit for your kids and family is hard to say.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Sda is very strict and cult like. they are also very judgemental
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• The larger Catholic school is more likely to have plenty of experience dealing with non-Catholic students.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• My grandmother is SDA, they have diet restrictions that they probably follow if the school offers lunches, idk if that is something to consider for you. I would suggest looking into the teachings of the church more in depth, because they will be teaching them in their religious classes, then decide which is closer to your beliefs.
    Every school is different, depending on the area, so it's hard to say which would be better academically. I know my grandmother is having some issues with the SDA school in her area that my cousin is going to, they are doing ACE PACE Packs, which they find to be lacking, but the school in your area may use something different.

CharMom23

Answer by CharMom23 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• I can add a little to CharMom23 concerning the ACE Paces...I did that in high school and hated it. I would agree that they are lacking in some areas of learning...especially if you're like me and enjoy hands-on learning. But perhaps the school you choose will do something different.
    Each school is going to teach their own religious beliefs as the other moms have stated. Choose the one that you agree with the most.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 8:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• My daughter is in a Catholic school, and I know that they tend to have higher than average scores and graduation rates, as well as rates of students going on to college. I've never heard anything, good or bad, about SDA schools, so I can't comment on that. I would want to learn about what they will be teaching my child (assuming they have a religion class, which my daughter's school does). It would be important to me to have my kids in a school that does not go against what I am trying to teach my children.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• You should be able to find out their academic placement and coompare the two. It als would depend on why you want your child to attend a private school and what you hope to gain from him doing so.

That also will influence where you think will be the best first for your child.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• In Catholic schools when I was young the non Catholic kids were allowed to opt out of religion class and not go to mass. I'm not sure if that is still the case anymore.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2013