I have multiple myeloma. I was told I'm not in remission. What does that mean?

I had a bone marrow transplant Sept. of 2012. I went back for another biopsy the 3rd of this month. Thet said there was no remission. Please explain to me what this means.

w2004redpony

Asked by w2004redpony at 12:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2013 in Health

• Remission-the state of absence of disease activity. In other words unfortunately you still have Multiple Myeloma despite the bone marrow transplant and teh transplant has failed in slowing the disease. The cancer is still active.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• are you sure they said remission? if so I am very sorry that you went through all of that and are not in remission.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I would think these would be questions you should have asked your doctor or specialist! Not a bunch of strangers on the internet!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• This is what my grandmother had until she died. She had to be on a regular schedule of mild chemo from the time she entered treatment until she died, which was a span of 10-12 years. If they took her off the chemo, it would come back. It seemed to hold her in remission. The fact you are not in remission, means it is still present and active in your body. You will need treatment.

One of the characteristics of the disease is renal failure due to high levels of calcium in your blood. I know that my grandmother spent the last few years of her life on dialysis. You may be able to hold this off as long as possible if you talk to your doctor about starting a "renal diet" which reduces your consumption of certain foods (like those high in potassium), and can reduce the strain on your renal system.

Good luck! Keep your appointments, and do as much research on your own as you can so you know what to ask your doctor.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• It means you still have cancer & your treatments did not work.you really need to talk to your oncologist.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 1:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• while YES she needs to talk to her doctor PartyAnn, when you have a disease like this sometimes when you are in the doctors office you have a million questions and if you THINK you well and a blow like you are not in remission is handed to you, you dont focus on anything other than the words you heard and cant process it all enough to answer the question.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Oh, one other thing I know they have started to try is using stem cells to treat. It is unlikely that your parents had yours banked way back in the day, but if someone in your family is pregnant or you can find a stem-cell donor, they can be harvested from the umbilical cord blood at delivery. It is still experimental, but it might be an option you want to discuss with your doctor.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Your Myeloma is not gone. You still have it.

Answer by louise2 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2013