Help... biting child?

I babysit a little girl who will not stop biting my little girl when she bites her she leaves purple teeth marks and my daughter screams with pain :( what should i do when this happens i need advice

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm dealing with this with my twins (my girl's a biter). We always put her in time out as soon as it happens. She still does it occaisionally, but not as often as she did at one point. We also try to head it off when we see it coming, like when we can tell there is about to be a disagreement about a toy they both want we try to separate them and get rid of the toy before it becomes a bigger problem.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• First consult with her parents about the situation. Ask them what actions they are taking with her when she bites so that you can punish her the same way or you guys can come up with something together so that it is consistant. Is she old enough for time outs? I know this is a very hard situation because she is not your child and your natural instinct is to protect your own child at any cost. Keep a close eye on her so that when you see behavior happening to where you can tell she is going to bite your daughter, intervene at catch her right before she does it. Tell her gently and firmly that biting is not ok, biting hurts and then punish her accordingly. This takes time, but she will get better. But most importantly talk with her parents.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I agree, talking with her parents to see what they want you to do with her when she bites. I'd say she probably needs to be taken away from everyone immediately, so that she knows it won't be tolerated. My Son just started biting (me) and it hurts like Hell! He is teething so I am trying to keep cool teethers in his mouth.
    rubytwo2

Answer by rubytwo2 at 5:42 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I would spank the crap out of my kid if he bit me or anyone. That is horrible behavior.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2009