Go organic? or Not?

I've really come to see what I'm putting in my mouth isn't always good for me. But it taste so good. Can you go somewhat organic and it still help you? Or is it all or nothing deal? What percentage can you do and it be worth it? I don't wanna go crazy on it and will most likely still eat out from time to time. would just fruit and veggies be enough?

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 11:52 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• on jon and kate plus eight( i love this show) they eat organic! she makes it look so easy, but if you cant afford it try starting you a small garden, its fresh and my kids love to get out there and help, just do the easy stuff, tomatoes, strawberrys and watermelons, okra, we do this every year and if you dont hav alot of land, do this in big flower pots
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i think anything you do will help. when you go organic it can actually cure alot of diseases, syndromes and even cancer! YES CANCER! While I don't eat anything organic because it is typically more expensive I do one day plan on doing it when we have the extra money to spend on it. Staying away from preservatives and dyes are a good idea too :) (which is apart of going organic) Some kids that have ADHD have it from red food dyes.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:04 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I'd love to go organic. I think that if something is ACTUALLY organic then it obvioulsy is better for you. Here's my problem. I grew up in and now live in huge farming communities. It doesn't take much to get something declared organic. Sure, the farmer doesn't spray that particular field or whatever, but what I find amusing is that there can be an organic field right next to non organic. There is still some carry over in chemicals and such either from the wind or when the crop is watered. I'm not willing to pay the price for "organic" when it may not actually be so. I"m sure there are some organic foods that are very carefully monitored, but how can we really know?
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Anything is better than nothing at all. Organic food is just expensive, that's all. If I could afford it, I would buy organic milk and organic eggs and cheese...but alas, we just can't afford it right now >.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• There are great groups here on living naturally and going organic on a budget. There are also groups on organic gardening if you can accomodate and maintain one. If you're going to start with fruits and veggies, there are a couple of things you should do. A few months ago, MSN put out an article called "The Dirty Dozen," basically outlining 12 fruits and veggies you should get if you want to go organic. Google it or do a search for it on MSN.com. This is a great start, and organic doesn't always have to be super-expensive. Sometimes shopping at my local Safeway or SaveMart store, I can find organic things to be LESS expensive than their non-organic counterparts. It is possible.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 12:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2009