What would you do if found out your son had hit a girl in an agressive way?

hypothetical.. my son is only 2 but im just curious.. im not talking about toddlers.. im talking about kids who are old enough to know better.. how would react and would you react differntly then if he hit a boy?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would be more angry if my son hit a girl. I know that is a double standard, and he would be punished no matter who he hit, but I am hyper sensitive about him hurting girls. His father was abusive to me and I am terrified that it will be in his genes and he will behave like that so i am super paranoid about it. Fortunately, so far, my baby is a lover not a fighter :) So the only person he really hits is his big sister and she whoops on him much worse!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I think the best way is to put him in some sort of domestic violence group. Where he can learn the consequences of hitting women and what it does to everyone involved.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:55 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• it would be differently then hitting about. if he hit a girl all hell would break lose and he wouldn't see sunlight for a few weeks. my son will be taught that he doesn't hit ANYONE especially girls. HOwever if a guy hits him first then I wouldn't expect him to just walk away.. but i will teach him being the bigger man and walking away would be best but he wouldn't be punished for it if that makes sense.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I forgot the second half of the question. If he hit a boy, he wouldn't be in as much trouble, but he'd still get in trouble. I know that there is a double standard when it comes to hitting women versus men, but truth is violence is violence and it's unacceptable no matter who it is. My son is learning that the best thing he can do is walk away from a fight. There is NO excuse for hitting.........period. And if you let it slide once, it will continue to happen. My ex...........my son's father, is VERY aggressive and will fight anyone anytime for any reason. Hitting wrong and it's punishable by jail time. So teaching him at an early age to walk away is the best thing for him.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I kinda see your point Krazyash. Kinda like, we don't want them to hit people, especially girls but if they got hit first we'd want them to defend themselves right? But we also want them to learn when to just walk away. Gets kind of confusing!
    Anonymous

• I would ask him what happened and whether he knows why he got so angry.

That to me indicates repressed feelings and that have just blurted out and he would need to deal with these in order to be able to be better manage his feelings overall.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• We're spankers in this household, Mines daddy would have taken care of that quick fast and in a hurry.
    MoMmY2APrince85

Answer by MoMmY2APrince85 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• first of all, i would bust his tail!!!! then i would MAKE him tell that girl he was sorry. You can teach your kids to defend themselves, but for a man to EVER hit a lady is wrong and that it will not be allowed in your home, i have a 1 1/2 yr old boy who gets his busted when he hits his sisters!! but at the same time, we do not allow the girls to hit or bully him, the rules apply to both. puting him in some kind of class is crazy ,
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Hitting is only ok when it's self defense. It doesn't matter who it is, boy or girl, man or woman.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2009