what ARE braxton hicks?

I know they're "fake contractions" but what exactly are they? What do they feel like? How can you tell you're having them? Can someone explain it to me? This is my first pregnancy and I think I might be having them but I'm not too sure. I'm 37 weeks today, so it would only be normal for me to have them, right? Uggh. Someone please help!

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 11:54 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I know they can start as soon as 20weeks and alot of the time you really don't even notice them. Your stomach gets really tight and they can hurt sometimes but most the time it's just your stmach tightening up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• braxton and hicks contractions are your body preparing to give birth. they feel like the real thing, but the difference is that if you get up and walk around, they subside and go away. With "real" contractions, they would get worse as you move. At 37 weeks, it would be VERY normal for you to be having them. Just keep an eye on them. If they don't go away with walking around, then start keeping track of them.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• They felt like a tightening of my stomach. My stomach would get hard and felt ike there was pressure being put on it from all sides.

And yes it would be normal for you to have them. Your body is getting ready for labor.
    Anonymous

• Here is an article explaining braxton hicks:

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/laborbasics/a/bhctx.htm

FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• If you are close to the due date pay more attention to the contractions. When I went into labor with my twins, the contractions didn't hurt - at all - ...unless I tried to bend over and even then it wasn't bad enough to recognize it as labor. And then I only had about 2 or 3 pains about 3 minutes before they were born that made me say "ouch." I thought at first they were Braxton Hicks - until I called the Doc and he suggested I get to the hosp fast. If I hadn't called the doc, my twins would have been born at home or in the car. I was only in labor for 1 1/2 hours total.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• OMG FLYMOM! Haha, I think you're the envy of all pregnant women! Barely any pains... that's amazing! And it's great you made it to the hospital in time. I get [what I think are] contractions mostly at night when I'm trying to sleep. It's a pretty constant pain. Well, sometimes it will go away for a minute then come back.. It's been going on for about 3 days now. But the pain doesn't go away when I go to the bathroom or the kitchen for a midnight snack...

If you think it's labor... is there anything else I should look for?
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 12:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• like period cramps
    Anonymous