Are you a dog groomer?

Do you like it?
How much did it cost to get trained/certified?
Do you work in a shop? Or out of your home?
How much money do you make a week/yearly?
What skills would one need before training, or would show good potential in a future groomer?
What you wish you knew before you started?

Any other comments more than welcome!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2013 in Pets

• What skills would one need before training, or would show good potential in a future groomer? A love of dogs and a willingness to learn (take direction) Patience, people skills and the ability to lift a dog from the floor into the tub or onto the grooming table. If you want to do it on your own business skills. You will need to advertize and keep books and pass safety and health inspections, etc.
    What you wish you knew before you started? Take your tools with you. I n almost any of the shops you will find borrowers and downright theives and you do supply your own tools and keep them in good repair. This is not a job for the timid. Dogs hav deffinite personalities and bite, knock you down, smack you with a paw, and try to fall off table. You must be firm but gentle, if you can not show them you are the alpha, even the littlest dog will try to bully you.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:20 AM on Jan. 13, 2013

• My daughter was while she went to college
    Do you like it?
    How much did it cost to get trained/certified? She was hired at PetSmart to be a dog bather. There was a minimum period that you had to work in the shop. I can not remember if it was 6 months or a year, and then if you showed promise and the shop needed another groomer they would send you to be trained. The contract was that you had to continue to work for them, I believe 2 years and they paid for it.
    Do you work in a shop? Or out of your home? She work in the shop
    How much money do you make a week/yearly? It depends on how many dogs you can groom in a day and how many hours a week you work. Groomers are usually paid a base salary and then there is a commission but each shop is different. You may get tips as well.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Yes, I love it. I've grooming dogs for about 5 years and cats for 3 and got my CFMG title last fall for cats.
    Training went the corp. route so only cost me my tools but I didn't stay too long. Wasn't the right place for me.
    I currently work out of a salon and am building my own house call business.
    I make enough to cover p/t daycare costs and then some. Grooming has it's ups and downs especially since most pay commission and that has it's peaks and valleys.
    Skills, obviously a love of animals (you'd be surprised how many who don't think they can) being able to handle frustration and I agree with the tools. Mine are kept in a locked tool box when I'm not at work.
    I wish I had known how hard it was going to be on my body. Learn how to do things PROPERLY like lifting and scissoring without bending your wrist at odd angles.
    Fairierose81

Answer by Fairierose81 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 13, 2013