Would it be a bad idea to have another baby just because you know your mom could watch him/her for you?

Money is tight but I really want to have one. I've always had my parents house to go to in time of need. I've never needed to but it's nice to have you know? Well I also know she would love to watch her grandbaby, but would it be a bad idea to rely on that? I could afford the normal stuff, child care is just a huge expense. Thanks

lizzybee44

Asked by lizzybee44 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 13, 2013 in Relationships

• I think that is unfair to your mother. You should not have a baby unless you can provide for it without help.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:10 AM on Jan. 13, 2013

• I don't think it's fair to your mom, thinking like that.
    Of course she'd love to be with her grandbaby but to assume she'll always be available is unfair.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Uh, right, but what if something happens to your mother? What if your mother finds out that staying home 24/7 carrying for her grandchild is not what she envisioned in her older years? That's just not right.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2013

• You called your man an asshole, idiot, wanted to run with his money & leave him, had a panic attack and a bitch fit all because he threw out your sauce....but somehow bringing a baby into this is a GOOD idea? Wow....
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:20 AM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Sometimes it's hard for moms to say no to their children and especially to their grandchildren.
    All we moms want are peace and happiness.
    I'm an older mom and LOVE my boys to pieces. But I wouldn't want them to solely rely on me to be their babysitter. I want to do things now that my children are grown up and gone.

I'm afraid being a full time grandma can build resentment over time. But your mom might be different.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 13, 2013

• I'm a grandma and I can tell you it would totally be out of the question for me. I babysit in cases of emergency, school closings, sickness, etc... but to to it daily would make me crazy. I have too much to do. I don't think it's fair even if your mother agrees. That's still pinning her down. When the kids are grown and out of the house, we like to be able to come and go when we want.... we've earned that. Please don't do that to your mother.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:57 AM on Jan. 13, 2013

• If you can't afford a roast and vegetables on a regular basis, you can't afford a baby. If I was your mother & you did that jut because you thought I'd be there to babysit whenever , well I would never babysit nor help you.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2013

• After your post about the roast beef & sauce? Dear God yes it would be wrong, a million times wrong!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Jan. 13, 2013

^^^This needs to be said twice. Clearly you are not stable enough to bring a child into this world.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:38 AM on Jan. 13, 2013

• I'm a grandma. I would be absolutely livid if one of my dd's had a baby JUST because they thought I would be willing to babysit. I babysit now one or two evenings a week. I will be getting a new grand in about 3 1/2 months, and no, I am not going to be the primary sitter! I will in emergency cases, and in illnesses, but for everyday? Not me! (I don't even know right now if I will be able to handle both of them at the same time! I don't have the health and energy that I had when my kids were babies and toddlers. It will be a challenge, to say the least!)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2013