Ugg idk if i did something completly stupid or not

so last night i walked out of my job!????? i have NEVER walked out on a job b4 in the 6 yrs ive been working. im 21. anyways i work for a restraunt (applebees) and i walked out bc of the manager just completly disrespected me and was totally out of line. i wash didshes and asst the cook. last night was horrible! dishes plied all around sky high! i had dishes all on the floor unders the counter top where dirty dishes go, 3+ clean dish racks on the other side of counter clean dishes on the oposite side of the counter. it was horrible not to mention i am the only one who washes dishes! so a server ask me to wash thier silver wear which is fine (my job right) well i had to be able to get to the silverwear so i had to wash surrounding dishes as im working on that and waiting for the dish washer to stop i take a sec to eat a pretzel (i was working on my 7th hr of workin) my manager comes out and goes up to the dishes and starts helpping me! well when i go up thier put on my gloves to staRT working again he waves me off and goes "oh no who have more important things to do" and then persist to say things in that mannor and makes a comment on how i listen to a cook to much? i was goin to get the silver wear as soon as i could its not like i was ignoring her request so they can do thier jobs! i know this prob wasnt the best thing to do and i prob over reacted but idk i couldnt take that..i get so much disrepect and verbal/emotional abuse at home that i took it over board mayb?? i plan on going to talk to the gm today and if i dot have a job then im ok with that and if my job is still thier then awesome either way i feel like i did the right thing....what do you think?

rachel216

Asked by rachel216 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2013 in Money & Work

• I think you definantly overreacted! No matter where you work people are going to say things you don't like. You just don't walk out because of it.
    JennieMarie1103

Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Yes you overreacted. Having been a manager at Applebee's, none of us ate during shift on a Saturday night! Including me. I would (and did) fire people who walked out. They need people they can rely on. Regardless, you need to go to the gm and the manager on duty and apologize. Don't try to rationalize what you did. With that, maybe they won't give you a bad reference for your next job.

Answer by missanc at 12:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• I used to be a dishwasher at Applebee's. I was then an assist. cook and a prep cook. I never once ate on my shift and silverware there was always a priority. The waitresses and waiters NEED the silverware. You definitely overreacted. If you felt you were being treated unethically, you should of waited until things cooled down and had a private conversation with your manager. Not only did you just leave a job, you left them stranded at their busiest time. This was not a smart move at all.
    USNavyWife0330

Answer by USNavyWife0330 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Yes you over reacted. The manager acted a bit lit an ass. It sounds like the day was a bit stressful for everyone. You are young but in this economy, when it is harder to find a job, you have to be able to develope a little harder shell. Unless you really hate the job or the manage or you said something really bd, it is possible for you to go back and ask her for a word. Tell her are sorry that you overreacted and know how stressful a night it was. Tell her you would like to continue working if she is willing to give you another chance, but if not you wanted to come in and appologize anyway and see what happens.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• You are young and that is what young people do. I walked out on my pizza job when I was 16. Here's the thing: get a reference from another person who works there and not the manager. Next, you were working at Applebees so not a lot of brilliant people running the show, which is part of the problem. Try to be a nanny or find office work. It has its frustrations but will pay more.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Yea, you over reacted just a bit. But I have done that myself.

My last job, my manager never liked me. someone before her hired me. At the time I was hired she was in a position under the manger. So when that person left she got the job. She basically told me she was trying to find a reason to fire me. So I left after work that day and never went back. I told my supervisore that I wont work for her(the manager).

Answer by louise2 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• We all want to say this http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube++jonneypaycheck&mid=711A43F6DBBBEB0BAF69711A43F6DBBBEB0BAF69&view=detail&FORM=VIRE7   Not a good idea for future jobs , how to explain the why then the gap between jobs? and no references.  Knew of someone that did it twice , it helped I was a good reference so he got another job.

sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2013