Where can I get a free booster seat?

I could try freecycle,but that is risky cause you don't know if it has or has not been in a car accident.When my baby was born she took the convertible car seat,my 2yr old moved into the booster seat(5pt harness).But now we don't have a proper booster for my 4 yr old.He is almost 50lbs and 4ft tall(Ithink).But he still needs a booster.Here is the kicker,we hav a '84 chevy van and he will be sitting in the middle of the rear bench seat.There are NO shoulder belt seat belts.ONLY lap belts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Go to your local police department or fire department. They have brand new ones that can be given to those who need one.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• If possible, I'd switch your seats around and put the two year old in the middle. His car seat can be secured with just a lap belt and his 5-point-harness will keep his body safe. He is also big enough now to climb across your 4-year-old seat to get to his own.
    Your 4-year-old will need that shoulder belt unless you manage to get another seat with a 5-point-harness. Without that shoulder restraint, he will be thrown forward and then backward in an accident.
    As for freecycle, remember that the person is just wanting to pass along a seat they no longer need. It is actually easier for them to throw it away than to list it and go through the bother of arranging a pick-up for the seat. I wouldn't trust a seat off of craigslist - since the person has a money incentive for selling a damaged seat - but I'd be fine with a decent looking seat from freecycle.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• just to comment on what kaycee said: Craigslist does have a "free" section, and is much less trouble to list on (Freecycle requires joining a yahoo group and getting approved, so I'd think it gets used less by people who only need to get rid of one thing)
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2009