How old was your kids when you started teaching them to wash their own clothes and do dishes

my daughter will be 8 in April I am going to teach her how to do the dishes (I was doing dishes younger than her) I am teaching her how to do her laundry as well although my mom never let us wash our own laundry because she tbought it was adding to the laundry. Is she to young to learn this stuff? I will do pans and knives of course. I would as also only have her do dishes once a day and her laundry once a week

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2013 in General Parenting

• I did my children's laundry for as long as they were at home, and that was all through college. They had part time jobs and I was home, so I figured the least I could do was take care of their clothes. They helped with the dishes when asked, but with a dishwasher and being home all the time, I didn't ask them often because they were either working or doing homework. My children all turned out to be hard-working responsible adults, so I guess I didn't ruin them for life by not requiring them to do housework!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• 3
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• I'm the ONLY one allowed to use the washer and dryer in our house. Our boys are NOT to touch them. They're brand new, and it's taken me 12 yrs to get new ones, so no touching allowed. They know how to sort laundry, and help fold and put away, for me that's enough. They all 3 help with dishes, and they are 9, 10, and 16. They all 3 know how to wash and dry dishes, they have been since they could stand on their step stool. We all live in our house, so we all pitch in. They all know what's expected of them, so there's no questions.
    After dinner, they know what to do, on Sundays they know to collect laundry, and get it in the laundry room, and during the week they know to keep their rooms tidy.
    I don't want our boys to feel like they have to rely on a woman to do their housework, etc. I don't make them do it all, I'm right there with them teaching them how, and helping them. We are a team in our house, and that works for us.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• DS has been helping with the dishes since he was 5. He is 7 now, he puts his own clothes away but i haven't had him do the laundry yet.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• To late. I never made my oldest wash her own cloths. I started making you youngest do hers at age 16. Looking back I should have started at a younger age. Maybe 12 ,13, or 14. Looking back they could have done it that early.

Answer by louise2 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• My boys are 11 and 9, and they've been loading and unloading the dishwasher for a while now, I'm not sure how long exactly. Though we never do it, they do know how to hand wash a dish, as well.

The laundry -- I do the laundry, mainly because our place is so cramped right now, we share a bathroom and have to share a hamper. It's just easier to do all the laundry rather than sort out what belongs to whom. They help me fold it, though, and they do know how to actually do it. My youngest would probably have to ask a few questions, about where to set the knobs and such, but he'd still be able to do it.

If she's 7, I'd say she's old enough to at least start learning. You might want to supervise for a while, to make sure the dishes actually get clean, that she sets the washer/dryer correctly, stuff like that, but I think she could start learning.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Loading the dishwasher? around 8. Dishes by hand? 11. Washing/drying/folding clothes? 9-10, although they weren't perfect. My kids are now 15, 13, 11, 4, and 2. The older 3 do one load of laundry a week, they fold it in stacks and everyone puts away their own. They also put their own bowls, plates, and flatware in the dishwasher after meals. I typically still do pots, pans, trays and dishes for the little ones.

Answer by missanc at 12:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Dishes. They both were doing that. By hand by ager 10. Yes we had dishwashers. But I wanted them to learn how to hand wash them. it is to easy to use the dishwasher.

Answer by louise2 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• I was a horrible mom. I never made my boys do dishes or laundry. Just keep their room tidy was all I asked of them.
    But if they wanted to help, I gladly accepted.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• My oldest is only 6 yrs old, she helps me with the loading & unloading of the dishwasher and, has been for a little over a year. She is not ready for hand washing or for doing laundry. Though, she has helped before with sorting clean clothes & with putting them away.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2013