What would you do if your daughters professor told her "Im so mad i could throw my keys at you" because he didnt like her opinion in a debate class?

This is my 20 yr olds 1st year in college she went to cosmetolgy school last year... She has a professor in her Political science class.. where he encoiurgaes debate.. he is very liberal and she is conserative but when she has an opinion he disagrees with he gets upset.. other strudents agree with too but are not as opionated so she gets the brunt of it.. he has slammed his fist on her desk, yelled in face, and just recenlty threatend to throw his keys at her... al because he did not agree with her POV... she has come home from college in tears on more then one occasion and is consdering dropping out of the class becasue of him, which would severly hurt her gpa (she is an a/b student) please help me help her thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• She could always use her phone or another recording device to record the class, and that way if he says something like that again, she'll have hard evidence. If I were her I would definitely say something to my advisor and/or see if there's a office for student grievences or support (I can't think of the specific title I'm looking for right now), but either way, it really sounds like this professor is getting out of hand.I agree that she may be learning a good lesson on how to stand up for herself, but at the same time, it sounds like this could almost be considered harrassment, and I know a school is going to take any kind of percieved threat very seriously. Also, for most schools, if your daughter drops out of the class before the deadline to withdraw, then it won't count towards her GPA.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Tell her she is winning the debate if he is loosing his cool. :) She can also report him to the school. Tell her not to ever stop voicing her opinion, people have died for that right.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I would tell her to report him.
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately, there's nothing YOU can do, she has to handle it. She needs to report him at the school, and frankly, I'd tell her that the next time he slams his fist on her desk, she needs to get out her cell phone (if she has one), dial 911 and tell the operator she needs the police b/c her professor is making her feel threatened, right while he's standing there. That kind of behavior is completely unacceptable. The other recommendation I'd have is that maybe she can take the same course with a different professor. I don't know if she can just switch classes, but considering the circumstances, it would be worth checking into.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:29 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Regardless of whether his actions are appropriate or not, she is learning a very important life lesson: how to deal with people. She has choices about how she acts in his class...she can provoke him or she can sit back and observe...and perhaps learn how to handle this sort of person. A VERY valuable lesson...
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 12:29 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Agree with Susie: He has a boss and he went over the line when he threatened to throw his keys at her. that's intimidation. Tell her not to drop the class... more people are needed with conservative views who are willing to speak up.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It is possible that he doesn't know he is affecting her so much. He may be surprised to know she is hurt by his comments and actions...especially if she is holding her own in the classroom. He may think she can take it and appreciates a good, heated debate. It is also possible that he is just a dick on a power trip. The only way to find out is for her to explain to him that he is being too forceful in the debate. If he continues she could go to her advisor and ask for advice. I would let her do this on her own though, unless she asks for your help, just give her advice and support.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I agree with pp. I don't know what good reporting him will do although keep it in mind. College profs are so much more untouchable than public school teachers. My son is 21 yo. He asked a prof a specific question before the semester began last year and every question was answered with a statement of the question but without a response to the question!! By the time my son got his third rewrite he realized the prof wasn't for him. Sometimes profs and kids just don't hit it off. Maybe your daughter is the first student to beg to differ with him with so much passionabout her side even if she is not antagonistic about it. Look him up on ratemyprofessor.com. My son's professor got high marks from students as recently as the semester previous but my son just wasn't looking for drama from the getgo. He chose another prof who answered his questions. Watch out if she goes for extra help, she should take someone w/her to witn.
    Anonymous

• I have so been there, tell her to hang in there. I was the only loud mouth conservative on many of my debate style classes with crazy liberal professors. If he is seriously threatening her, she needs to report it. If he is teasing, brush it off.
    the.deadly.mrs

Answer by the.deadly.mrs at 2:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• nothing, whats the big deal? She is 20 years old, let her deal with it.
    I would only say something if head actually THROWN the key sat her! LOL
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2009