Going past your due date?

I'm due on Monday. Just got back from the doctor and he said he thinks it's going to be a while. I haven't started to dilate and my cervix hasn't softened or anything.
Has anyone been told it's gonna be a while and NOT have to be induced?
Just looking for a little hope :(

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 12:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Dont' get discouraged! I went to see my dr. on the12th of February (I was due the 18th) and he told me that I was not at all dialated, not thinning, basically bupkis and that he would see me at my next appt. in a week. i went home crying because I was so exhausted and done lol. The morning of the 13th i started having contractions and my little girl was born at 3:27 am on Valentines day..,,,4 days early after not being dialated in anyway. hang in there. It is so unpredictable. Concentrate on relaxing, cleaning, all the little things you won't get to do here pretty soon. good luck!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• *shakes head* They won't induce you unless something is wrong, like if the amount of fluid around the baby is getting low. I was 6 days over due. It really will happen when you least expect it if you ask me. They were going to induce me Tuesday evening, turns out my body decided late Monday night to kick in on its own :P Good luck
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Well I was induced so I can't be of much help. I went 6 days past due, and my doctor said he wouldn't let me go more than a week past my due date. Most doctors will let you go 2 weeks past due, so like 14 days. Since they can have their fist stool in there and then swallow it and that's just a big no no. So anyways good luck!! Just walk alot and you never know, your water can break tonight or you can go into labor. But if you can just wait the 2 weeks, I should of just waited for nature to take it's course. My daughter is healthy but I should of just let her come when she wanted.
    xocyncyn

Answer by xocyncyn at 12:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• My doctor said he's going to induce on the 27th if I don't go naturally.
    I just don't know what the odds are of me going naturally now if I haven't started dilating or anything...Cause I hear about people being dilated for weeks before labor actually starts..
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• You can also not be dialted at all and go into labor so it is not prediction at all. Don't worry. You could very easily go into labor today or make it until the 27th. Just relax and get some rest.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• This is why I do not agree with vaginal exams (well one reason). How dilated/effaced you are right now gives absolutely NO indication of when you will give birth. Some women are dilated for weeks, some go from closed to 10 cm in a matter of a few hours. Vaginal exams just introduce bacteria and risk the doctor stripping your membranes without your permission or breaking your water on accident. 40 weeks is the halfway point for the average length of gestation. That means anywhere from 38-42 weeks, about 90% of women will go into labor. The risk of stillbirth doesn't increase until AFTER 43 weeks. You should plan to be pregnant for 42 weeks, then when you go into labor before that (which you probably will) you will be pleasantly surprised!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• The 40-week due date is the MID-point of the 4-week due period (38-42 weeks). It is an estimate, anyway, based on an average-- many women do fall outside the average.

My best labor was past my EDD and not induced. baby practically fell out of me, so easy! And we had a lovely & natural experience. :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• For a first-time mom, the average is not 40 weeks~ it's 41 weeks, 1 day!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:04 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Thanks guys. I know it's common to go past 40 weeks, but you've all been in my shoes and know how hard it is when you just want your baby here!
    I just felt so discouraged this morning when he said he thought it would be a while, plus I really don't want to get induced :(
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 2:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2009