Help Nervous fiance on zanax

My fiances mother is always anxious and nervous and so was her mother and so is my fiances brother and they all take pills to calm themselves down. I want to know if anyone thinks that this nervousness is learned or if it is hereditary? He went to his doctor and he put him on zanax, i am scared he will get addicted to them. I feel that he learned to be nervous all the time from seeing his mother and grandmother always like that, but i am not a doctor and have no experience with this. Please help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• Yeah, I do think its learned behavior. There could be some genetic predisposition to anxiety, but fear (which is what anxiety is) is very much learned. How they responded to situations while he was growing up taught him how to respond. As far as addiction....yep, thats entirely possible. Because I know addiction well, I know how it works. Xanax is a very addictive drug and if he will only take it when he needs it, say a few times a week, then he will be okay, but if hes popping them everyday, it won;t be long and he will have to have them. They are not easy to get off of by yourself either. Not trying to scare you at all but I am trying to be realistic. Has he tried counseling or talking about what hes REALLY afraid of? There are lots of ways to combat anxiety like breathing and cognitive behavior therapy. Learning the right way to respond to situations is key in dealing with anxiety. No matter what...be supportive. He needs U
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:45 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• If your man has an anxiety disorder learn what you can about it, that will help a lot. Be proud he sought help. A lot of men don't and they turn their anxiety to rage. Tell him you are proud of him. Things will be OK.

VintageGrace

Answer by VintageGrace at 12:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Xanax is addicting if you keep taking them but like the person said above at least he's gotten help for his anxiety. You should try to support him anyway possible. Like try to help him relax and be less stressed out about everything.
    Anonymous

• i think it is both learned and hereditary. I suffer from it and so do a lot of people in my family. i am on zoloft and the dr asked me about a thousand questions before I was put on it. In my opinion I would get him to go see a different dr. They can put him on something that is not so addictive as xanax. It is so addictive in a year he will need something stronger.. then you have a bigger problem than being nervous. I think someone who he needs xanax everyday should at least be seeing a psychiatrist too( not that I am saying your hubby needs to) but if a Dr prescirbes that i would think that he would want to be following up with a recommended professional. Personally I think he should switch Drs and ditch the Xanax. Im not a Dr but if you are concerned thats what I would do! Good Luck!
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2009