Is 15mo old to soon to do time out?

MY 15mo old son get's into thing he knows not too.Befor he will do it he will look at me or his father smile and do it.What can I do.

mommy.mave

Asked by mommy.mave at 7:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think if the understand that they did wrong then NO. COnsistency is key with many things with children. My son is 18months and he knows about time out. But also because his sister is older ( not by much, 10months) and he shes that she goes there if she does wrong.
    miss_rae

Answer by miss_rae at 8:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• 15 mths is definitly not too young for time out! if you start now, it makes it easier when they're older. instead of trying a time out in a chair try something alittle bigger like a mat (i bought the cheap $2 rugs from walmart). that gives them alittle more wiggle room at that age. just don't expect him to sit perfectly still. the first few times will be hard. as long as you're consistent it will work out. my son is 4 now and i do a slightly different time out system (he's always getting in trouble for his temper). i put him in a bean bag chair in his room and tell him to come out when he's calmed down. sometimes he's only gone for a few seconds but sometimes he's in there for alot longer. when he comes out i tell him that isn't okay, get an apology (as sincere as i can get it) and then it's over.
    ibsqueen2004

Answer by ibsqueen2004 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I wrote a journal about spankings and timeouts, you may find it interesting.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/907483/Alternatives_to_Spanking
    wearingyourbaby

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 2:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2008