Slipped, and fell...

Our 9 yr old son slipped and fell on a wood floor that's over concrete, after I mopped just a few minutes ago. He said his butt hurts really bad, and it hurts to walk.... Should I take him to have it looked at? He's laughing, and seems happy, but if I ask him to get up off the couch he walks with his legs apart, and really slow... Ugh, I don't know what to do.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2013 in Health

• I found it helpful to get towels very warm in the dryer and then sit or lie on a couple of them when the pain got really bad.

Please DON"T do this... it's an acute injury.... always ICE... heat only after a good week. In my practice I NEVER use heat... only ice and get much better results!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• He might have cracked his tailbone. Not much to do but give him advil and have him sit on a donut. Ive done that and it hurts but thetes no way to fix it. It just has to heal
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Yep, possible broken coccyx is correct - there are a lot oc muscles that attach there and it's very painful!! Take him in to confirm... he'll need the doctors note to be out of gym and to go get meds during the school day if it hurts. Unless you are a medical professional don't try to manage a fractured anything on your own!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• See how it is tomorrow.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Thanks Crafty26. I won't put heat on it. I just asked him again how he's feeling, and he said he's feeling okay. I looked, and no more red mark, and no bruise. I was just a little worried when he was walking funny afterwards, he's not anymore, thankfully.

Good news indeed!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• This is a "Crafty" question. Listen to what she says.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Make a "slippery when wet sign" and take a picture of him pretending to fall down to put on it. Then hang it somewhere when you mop.

It probably just hurts- if something were broken he would not be happy. Feel free to do an inspection- or if dad is home he can do it.

I can't think of anything that would require medical attention here.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• We all laughed so hard when it happened, and then I looked at it, and there's a big read mark where his tailbone is... He was laughing too. I like your idea, and I'm sure he'll get a good laugh out of it.
    I'll keep an eye on him, thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Yep,possible broken coccyx
    Do what Nimue suggests

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Probably just gave him a sore but for a while. Next time you might want to inform people you are moping.

Answer by louise2 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2013