Trying to eat healthier... adult content

I'm doing my best to eat healthier and it seems if I rush my system with tons of fruits and veggies and get horrible runny/acidic poop! Sorry, there's no way around how to say it lol The runs? lol Should I slowly increase my veggies/fruits? Is it normal for your body to hate what your putting in it because it's not used to it? It's hard for me to slowly do it cause I feel like I'm wasting time slowly adding fruits and veggies...
How long will my body react to good stuff like this? thanks all!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2013 in Health

• What did you do? Just suddenly start eating only fruit and veggies? Go vegan?  I know fruit will di that to you if you eat to many. Apple juice does that to me.

Answer by louise2 at 8:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Any body that's suddenly fed a lot more fruits/veggies will react that way ;o). If you just keep going with it, within a couple of days your body should be used to it. You need to flush the crud out and your body needs to get used to the better stuff - I bet within a week you'll feel so much better, more energized, just all over better.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Make sure that you also get whole grains to go with the fresh fruits and veggies. Things like barley, brown rice, millet, breads made from whole grains and as few ingredients as possible. I also take a probiotic supplement because I already have stomach issues.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Your body doesn't hate it- just is used to digesting the heck out of processed food- put natural food in your body that doesn't require a lot of digestion and your body is still producing lots of digestive acids to break it down- it gets super broken down and creates a liquid poop.

Have fun! Keep at it!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• How are you preparing your veggies? Steamed, stir fried, juiced, raw? Raw veggies are harder on the stomach. What kinds of veggies? Your stomach may not like one kind but it doesn't mean you should give up on all veggies. I would recommend steamed veggies and mix of leafy greens and starchy veggies. Start small with 1 or 2 types of veggies for a the first couple weeks and then add more or switch it up. Your stomach does need time to get used to foods. I used to hate certain veggies and I'd get somewhat sick from them, but over time, I eventually got used to them. I sneak veggies into every meal, like eggs with spinach or chopped bell peppers or won ton soup with spinach. Be sure the veggies are washed thoroughly. Mention this problem to your doctor on your next visit, too.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Fruit and vegetables require your body to work to digest them. If you're used to highly processed food, your body doesn't have to work much because they are virtually pre-digested in their normal state. Your body isn't used to being confronted with actual fiber :) so it does a rush job on the new stuff and let's it all go through fast ... hence the runny poop - the food isn't digested :)

Take your time and add a serving of cooked fruit or veg the first day or two until your tummy settles a bit. Then move on to a little raw fruit and build on it. Add raw veg and whole grains gradually so as not to shock your system. Don't rush it. Taking it slow is not a waste of time. In a few weeks you'll wonder what all the fuss was about :)

Good luck to you and congratulations on deciding to be a better you!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:24 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• PS - the other big advantage of eating more fruit and veg is that your body uses more calories to digest them than it would for, say, a hot dog ... :)
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:25 AM on Jan. 14, 2013