Milk Supply

My breast milk supply seems to have diminished. My daughter is 4 months old, and I work part time. I recently went to a conference and was not able to pump as much as I normally do for about 2 or 3 days. Do you think it would diminish that quickly? Is there anything that I can do?

Tidji

Asked by Tidji at 12:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Fenugreek Herbal Supplements. Find them at GNC take 2 pills 3 times a day and drink plenty of water!
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 12:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Drink more liquids, and avoid drinks that act as a diuretic, like coffee, mint tea, etc. You may be dehydrated.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Yes to drinking more water. Also nurse as much as you can. When baby is done on one breast, switch to other. Baby can make your body think its on a growth spurt so you'll increase.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Not pumping on your regular schedule for a few days definitely could diminish your supply. Follow all of the advice above. I drank Mother's Milk tea to increase my supply. What I think will be most helpful, though, would be to add an extra pumping session. There are two ways to do this. Either pump at some time when you wouldn't normally pump, preferably in the morning when your supply is highest, or pump immediately after a nursing session. Either way, your body will notice that there is an increased demand for its "services" and step up and produce more milk. Good luck! It shouldn't take long before the extra pumping pays off.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Dr. Jack Newman is an expert on breastfeeding. There are wonderful resources on his website at http://www.drjacknewman.com/. I myself took many herbs (fenugreek, Mother's Milk Plus special blend, goat's rue - both from a company called Motherlove) and a drug called domperidone (from a lactation consultant) to increase milk supply. I took it for about 2 months (my daughter is 5 1/2 months old) and it really did increase the supply. Since I have stopped taking it, my milk has decreased also, but since I am back to work now I am in the process of weaning anyway, so this has worked out fine. Good luck!
    japfeffer

Answer by japfeffer at 3:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2009