If I'm not stable will I ever be? I don't want that to stop me from a normal life

my psychiatrist says im doing better as does hubby but I know it's not how it should be. What should I do, keep trying new drugs? I've decreased almost all stressors in my life which helped a lot, but school is starting again so I know I'm stressing about that, which causes me to have to take xanax as needed.
My psychiatrist, all he will do is put me on all kinds of pills and I'm only taking zoloft which I love, but afraid to try anything new, not to mention mixing them. What should I do to try to be normal?

lizzybee44

Asked by lizzybee44 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2013 in Health

• Well, first off, STOP telling yourself you are NOT normal. Everyone has problems. Most people have stressors that set them off into some type of phobia, fear, anxiety, tail spin, whatever.... You have to find what works for you! If that means taking medications, that means taking medications. Nothing wrong with that. Quit letting others call you abnormal as well. That's just wrong on all levels.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• What were you diagnosed with OP? And I also agree with m-avi, you ARE normal. And anyone saying differently should look in the mirror themselves.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Personaly I like Pristiq better than zoloft. But
    Drugs can only do so much. The question is why you are unstable and for that you need someone to talk to.
    It will take a while, maybe years to sort things out.
    The other question, will you every be normal and that depends on what you mean by normal. If you mean function as a productive person, my answer would be a strong positive.
    If you mean like everyone else. I will tell you that you do not want to be anyone else. You want to be yourself, but the best self you can be and that is already normal.
    Every one has some thing they have to deal ith and overcome.
    If you mean get of the drugs that help you, my guess is probably not.

Some of it may be due to hormones and other physical stressors and some are emotional. Both are baggage we can deal with but can not totally throw away.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• You need to see a psychologist in addition to your psychiatrist. (Here's a hint one is a professional counselor the other is a doctor with the ability to prescribe psychiatric drugs).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Being "normal" is overrated. Being you is what you do best, and if Xanax helps you be you, then take it as needed. I'm generally pretty happy with my life, but if anybody could read my mind and follow my emotions from moment to moment sometimes--thank God that's not possible--they'd probably say I was certifiably unsound. That's okay. There's a country song that says, "I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm betterthan I used to be." That wworks for me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• yea. I had a psychologist for 2 years. It worked out ok. I hated going but I pushed myself. I haven't seen her in about a year. I would hate to go back ugh I hate going. I think it helped thought. But at the same time I don't want to find a different counselor because it's too much to explain. This lady already knows me well. Anyway good thing I have insurance I will consider it, I will highly consider it because my SO is driving me absolutely crazy not to mention he got fired today.
    lizzybee44

Comment by lizzybee44 (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Maybe he is the root of your problems. If you're so upset all the time because of him, why do you stay?
    Anonymous

• Sounds like you need a different psychologist. I would recommend that you start interviewing new therapists. If you need guidance on how to find a therapist that really fits you and your needs, PM me. I can help you with that.

I believe there is hope and healing for EVERYONE. BUT you have to be willing to work for it. And work hard. Just showing up at therapy when scheduled isn't going to bring you that much improvement. In order for you to get the most out of therapy and eventually wean down on the drugs a little, you have to put in the time, effort, and hard work to get the most out of your healing. Most therapists will agree that the majority of your healing will actually happen outside of the the office. You have your session to point you in the right direction and help you over the rough spots but that doesn't cut it. You must put in effort on your own time. Don't give up on healing ... run after it. Fight for it.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 11:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• It's good you're seeing a shrink and have access to a psychologist should you need to go back. You've reduced stress in your life which is also good. What things do you do to maintain keeping the stress from bubbling over, minus meds? I'm a firm believer in exercise, meditation and I do Reiki (energy healing). If I do NOT keep up with one of these modalities I get freaked out and run down. Some of these things really do help people. Might be worth looking into. Whatever you do, I think you're better than you give yourself credit for.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• Remembering some of the posts about your SO, I still think you need out of the relationship. It sounds like it's one of the things causing you problems.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 AM on Jan. 14, 2013