Did not like hospital tour, help!?!

I took my hospital tour last night. After you are admitted through Emergency they take you to a OB triage where you have to stayed and get monitored for a minimum of an hour before you get admitted to the room where you actually get your epidural and have the baby. Then you get transferred to a baby/mother's room. If the hospital gets too full you could be in there with another mother and baby and your husband would have to go home at night. Is it like that everywhere?? I really want to switch doctors at this point. Is it too late?

charlene29

Asked by charlene29 at 1:04 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, just call up your insurance if you were required to be registered by a certain time and tell them you're going to go with a different hospital.
    Anonymous

• Are you supposed to take a tour of the hospital you're going to deliver at? I'm 37 weeks, am I too late?
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 1:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• to shesohippie: i think this is how i answer?
    i dont think it would be too late to take the tour but it takes a couple of weeks to get in depending on the hospital. are you in the burbs? i'm in the city and i think thats why the hospital is like this and its smaller. the tours arent required i just thought it would be nice to see, but i dont like what i see!
    up to you, if you dont like the hospital for some reason you might freak out when everything could be fine. ultimately i'd deliver here if i had to but if i can switch i'd rather not have to go to three different rooms and possible have to share, i always thought and have heard from other girlfriends you go to your room where they monitor you and thats where you stay.
    charlene29

Answer by charlene29 at 1:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• If you are still pregnant then you still have options! ;-)
    (*Finding someone later on can be trickier though. And dealing with insurance might be a hurdle.)

I don't know why moms in labor should have to go through such crud!! Have you considered a birth center? Or even at home? I have attended births in these three locations and hospitals are the least pleasant location, anyway. There are some wonderful options out there~ it's worth checking into!

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• nope. not like that at all where i had my son.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Well with my first I was at a military hospital and I had him in the L&D room and then about an hour after I had him I was switch to the recovery room with 4 beds in it with curtian seperating the other moms. With my second I was in the same room the whole time but they only had about 13 rooms at the time so not really anywhere to move you too. I will be delivering this one at the same hospital and it now has added on like 20 more rooms and you deliver in one and then you are moved to your recovery room where you will stay the rest of your time So I think it is pretty normal practice now days.
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 1:54 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I didn't have to go through the ER, just right up to the OB floor.

Once there they did monitor for a while (don't know how long) to basically make sure it was actually labor. Then you were put in a delivery room.

The post partum wing did have 3 private rooms, one suite and the other rooms were doubles. If the floor wasn't that full, you could be in a double and not have a roommate. But if they needed the bed, those in doubles had to share. (the private rooms and suite cost more even with insurance)

If in a private room, suite or in a double alone, my husband could have stayed. If in a double with a roommate, no he couldn't stay (but neither could her husband).

I don't know...I don't see a problem. I'm not sure what you were expecting, though.
    Anonymous

• most hospitals put you in a triage room to make sure it is real labor before you get set up in an actual room. But usually as long as it is before like 9pm at night you can just go right to labor and delivery not the er. Talk to your dr. He may be able to deliver at another hospital. A lot of dr.s have privelage (sp) at more than one. You don't necessarily have to change dr.s to change hospitals. Just double check with your insurance that you are not required to deliver at a specific hosptial, which I don't see why it would matter. Good luck and don't worry. If you do end up there you are going to be so distracted with what is going on that it will be just fine. You get a baby in the end no matter how you do it :)
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• In my area there are 2 hospitals like 5 min away from each other. I go to the one where they check you in a triage room for like an hour or so, then they move you to your own room that you stay in until you go home. In the other hospital where my cousins and friends have had their kids you check into triage until your like 9 centimeters. You then get moved to a delivery room, then recovery room, then the post partum room which is tiny. I def like my hospital better than the other one.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 4:38 PM on Feb. 13, 2009