i think they killed him :(

we had to get rid of our family pet a rottie, all the no kills were full, and our landlord told us we had toget rid of him or we would be evcited... he was to big according to her... i had no firends or family who were able to take him, so i had no choice but to bring him to the un-Humane society.. our dog would NEVER have hurt anybody... he was a big baby.. well i called to day and they wouldnt tell me anything..they said i did not have a right to know if he was alvie or not.. hes my pet i do have right.. well i called back and asked them if they had any rotties for adoption and they told me no.. well im thinking the a$$es killed him!!! and i dont know why they would.. unless it was cuz he was a rott whihc is WRONG!!! how do i get anwsers.. what should i do.. how do i tell my 2 yr old?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pets

• They will only keep them for a certain amount of time before they put them down. You should've gone there and checked, not that it would have stopped anything, but hopefully it was adopted
    Anonymous

• why would you tell your 2 year old that? what would it accomplish?
    sorry if your dog was killed, but IMO telling your 2 yo is unneccesary. just tell him he was adopted by a family that had room for him.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 1:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Um, why would you tell your 2 year old anything? A 2 year old is NOT going to understand anyway. So in her mind the dog is already and has already been gone.

And even though you tried, you did send your dog to a shelter that euthanize's animals. Not too many people are going to want to adopt an adult Rot without knowing previous owners and behaviors. It's too risky and most people think there is a reason they are at a shelter. It's not your pet anymore, you relinquished rights so to speak. Hopefully they've already adopted her out, but if not they aren't going to keep her there forever.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Yeah there's no reason to tell your child. If you take a pet to the humane society there is always the possibility that they will have to put him down. Especially because they are really full right now and probably have a hard time placing large breeds. I'm sorry for your loss.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• maybe someone wanted a rot really bad and adopted him. just think that.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• That is soo sad...Just tell ur child that s/he went for a walk to visit their friend and as time goes by s/he is not back from visiting. I am so sorry for ur loss it those even people did anything.sad

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Rotts don't usually get adopted out. Our humane society euthanizes most rots unless they are puppies.
    Anonymous

• he was only 10 months and old.. and my 2 yr old knows enough to knows his puppy is gone
    Anonymous

• tell him he needed more room and you sent him somewhere he could run around, anything - just don't tell him you think he's dead.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 1:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Tell him what I told my 3 yr old at the time. There was the little old lady who was all alone at home. And she needed soemone with her. She heard how special our dog was so we gave him to her. She takes him on walks and feeds him neat food. And gets him toys every week!!! She would ask to go see our dog and I simply lied some more. The old lady took him sailing cus he liked water so much. Or whatever would poop out of my mouth at the time. lol She was upset that we gave our dog to someone else. But I kept reminding her how alone the old lady was and how good our dog was. That they needed each other more... She is 6 now and has no idea we ever had a dog before the one we have now!!! He is young enough to know his doggy is gone but young enough to lie to him without him knowing you are! Win win to me.
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2009