How to get my sister son to poop in the potty?

He just turned 4.5 and he just finally started peeling in the potty. Bad thing is they have to give him a dollar each time he owes in the potty so he gets around 7 dollars a day. He has been seeing in the . Potty for maybe 2 weeks. She puts undies on him all day, but he still poops his pants. He will go play in his room or whatever and come out with poop in his pants. My sister has him clean it up, but he tells my sister he doesnt know how to poop in the potty.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 7:57 AM on Jan. 14, 2013 in General Parenting

• Frankly, the dollar was not a good idea - firstly because it's going to be expensive and secondly because the child has no idea what money is about at that age. If they'd given him a shiny sticker star he'd have been as happy ...

Maybe if they try fitting a seat onto their own toilet and let him go by himself like the big boy that he is :) Also, if he has only just started peeing in the potty perhaps he just isn't ready?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 8:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Then maybe he needs more time and less stress?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 9:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I guess they tried stickers, candy and he wouldn't do it. They have tried the big potty and little one and I guess he still won't do it
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 8:45 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• My 4 y/o will pee in the pot all day long, but I've got the same problem w/ pooping!! ARGH!! He's supposed to start school next fall, and he's sooo excited, but even when I tell him that they won't let him go to school, if he's still pooping his pants, he still does it!! So I feel for them!!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 9:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Sometimes when my son would poop, the splash of the turd hitting the water would get his butt too. That scared him and he thought there were monsters in the toilet trying to get him. After some advice from a different (dead) mom's site, I set up a little step and allowed him to squat on the seat, over the toilet, to poop.

That did the trick. Once he got up higher than the "splash zone" he was no longer afraid of pooping, and stopped making messes in his pants.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2013