URGENT!!! HELP!!!!

Okay I am trynna get my daughter off the pacifier and she has these terrible temper tantroms when she gets it taken away or if she doesn't get one. She's 18 mos and Idk what to do. I've tried calming her down and distracted her from thinking about it but deosn't work. Terrible twos already? Help PLZ!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Cut a litlte bit of the tip off. That is awfully old to have a pacifier
    Anonymous

• All I can really think of is to say stick to your guns! Don't give in or she'll never get rid of it. My friend gave up trying to wean her son off the bottle because "he cried too much" He ended up on that bottle til he was 3! I'm sorry I can't be more help but Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

• It will be rough but if it's something you want to do right now you have to stick with it. To make it easier for you to not cave in and give it to her throw them out, get rid of everyone in the house. Be strong and stick with it. She will throw tantrums, my son did when we took his bottle away at about the same age. Just put her in a safe spot and let her have her tantrum. Truthfully she's doing it because she want's to get her way. Start to do something that she enjoys and just wait for her to join you. Colouring or building a block or whatever she enjoys.
    Best of luck to you!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Are you kidding me? Throwing a tantrum over a pacifier is crazy. She's throwing that tantrum because she knows she'll get her way. Next time just take it away, and never give it back. Deal with the crying, or put her in her room until she calms down. Don't give in, that's just giving her what she wants and will continue to throw tantrums in the future no matter what you do.
    mouse070291

Answer by mouse070291 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I know its tough but you can do it!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Just throw them all away and ignore the temper tantrum as long as she isn't hurting herself walk away from her. She'll get the picture pretty quick, my DD did.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 1:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Throw away all except for one. Then with snip off just the tip give a day or so then snip a little more. It won't feel the same to her and she will probably not want anything to do with it. If that doesn't help just cut the whole tip off and throw them away. You can do it. Just ignore the temper tantrum (harder said then done I know, but it can be done). Good Luck!
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 2:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• oh yeah and you can also get your doctor or someone else to take it from them...my doctor took my sons and never asked for it again. but you can cut the end off a little each day or every other day
    Missy_Dye

Answer by Missy_Dye at 2:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I have to respectfully disagree that 18 months is "awfully old" to have a pacifier. So, don't let that get you down. Yes, it seems like it is a good time to wean, though. The cutting the tip off is a good suggestions, but honestly the best bet is to go cold turkey, I think.

I may wait until Easter. My son is 16 months old. At Easter, I will have him put the paci in his Easter Basket so the Easter Bunny can take it to new babies and leave my son things for big boys. I can't claim the idea as mine. A friend used it with her baby many years ago, but it worked for her.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:04 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• My son had one till he was 2 years and 4 months. We just took them things away. It was like a 3 day process of him screaming and wanting it but after 3 days he was ok without it and if he found one behind hed bed or something he brings it to me and I let him throw it away.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2009