My Son who is 5 throws these terrible on going tantrums.

It starts with " I need you to go lay down or have quiet time, because we have to leave for hockey in a little bit." Melt down starts he yells "But I want to go to Hockey" he says this over and over and over. Even though I am explaining to him at eye level looking at him saying " Yes you are going to Hockey" "I just need you to lay down for a bit,you have two games today and you are already tired. It all goes down hill. It lasted for 6 hours of him crying he ended up missing Hockey. This happens at least 2-3 times a week. help!

maggimay4246

Asked by maggimay4246 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 14, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• why doesn't he want to go to hockey?
    is he getting enough sleep at night?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:15 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I would use fewer words, sometimes explanations go over their head - 5 year olds aren't great at reasoning. "If you go lay down for 20 minutes (or whatever time), then we will go to hockey". No more explanation needed. After that, let him throw his tantrum and don't react.

Answer by missanc at 9:18 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• just make him go to his bed to lay down. Be the parent, dont let him throw a fit the entire time
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:23 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• He wants to go to Hockey, but He didn't want to nap first. It was on going for hours. He ended up throwing things down the stairs, he kicked the door which was ridiculous. I just want to know why when I tell him to do something he does it and is nice about it. Then other times he freaks out and loses his cool. It is the weirdest thing.
    My husband seems to think grounding him will work. I really doubt grounding him will work.
    I think if you punish him (time out, Take a toy, ect...) be done with it. Do your time say your sorry and lets all move on with the day. I don't know??
    maggimay4246

Comment by maggimay4246 (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I think taking away hockey might be the best idea. Throwing a crying tantrum isn't that abnormal. Throwing things down the stairs and being destructive isn't normal. I would tell him one more tantrum like that and no more hockey. And it wouldn't be just a threat, it would be a promise.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I go through the same thing w/ my 2 and 4 y/o's and sometimes even my 8 y/o. I try explaining to them things just like you do, then it's meltdown time. I know it's maddening!! >=-( But I just try to stick to my guns, and make them go sit in time out until they calm down. Sometimes it takes quite a while for them to chill out. When they are calm, I just try to explain to them that by having the meltdowns, they are the ones that miss out. Maybe try sitting him down, and telling him that you will not allow him to go to hockey if he doesn't lay down for quiet time, or if he throws a fit, and that will be letting the other kids down, who count on him to be a part of the team. If he misses too many games/ practices, he won't be allowed to play at all, so it's up to him to act like a big boy so he can play. GL!!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 9:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• first thingi would do is change his diet

http://www.feingold.org/

^ sorry, i can not make it a clicky since changing to chrome

my daughter is on this elimination diet. when she accidently has some of these chemicals in US food, she is "nuts"
    try for a month with no slip ups, see if this helps

will not fix everything that is bad behavoir...but can make a HUGE difference for some kids, it did for mine 

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Don't tell him that you are going to do this after that. Say go lay down & rest. If he asks when Hockey is then just say "they open later, no one is there now they are closed." Another example: he wants to watch TV & not eat dinner. Say "eat now because the TV show you want to watch is not on until later". Don't give options.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:27 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• No mention of Hockey, it is nap time, period. If you don't lay down there will be no McDonalds, game, whatever. Mommy will ask you 2 times, then ignore his fit. I mean turn your back, Mommy can't hear you when you act this way. I think that 4 is a bit young for grounding, they are not able to understand time in weeks kind of thing.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:38 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• BTW 6 hours is a long time for a melt down, unless you were continuing participating in his drama, you might want to discuss this with his doctor.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:40 AM on Jan. 14, 2013