Help! Anyone had luck with improving a 6 year old's behavior at school?

He is a good kid and at home he is obedient...at school he just WILL NOT respect the teachers... He's somewhat behaved with his homeroom teacher, but anytime she's not there (lunch, recess, art/gym/spanish...) He just goes wild. We feel like we've tried everything and there has been NO improvement...I'm wondering if anyone has ever been in a similar spot and looking for any ideas that might help!
Thank you!!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Look into sensory integration dysfunction. You are describing how my son used to act in the classroom. He is a good boy at home,but could not focus in the classroom.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Our 7 yr old has been labled the class clown. We have been taking away his privlies, tv, computer, and video games. We told him that he can now read for fun or just play with his toys. He know that there is a place and a time to be silly and act out. Before class begins, during recess, and after class. Good Luck!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Have you met with the teacher(s)? I have found that the teachers at my sons' school are very helpful. A lot of them that we have had so far have 20+ yrs teaching experience. With that much experience, that's a lot of different personalities they have dealt with. Sometimes they can give you advice on things to try that you haven't thought of. Also, meet with the teachers of those other classes, the art/music and so forth. Perhaps there is something specific about those teachers that you need to work on. Maybe they don't give the air of authority they need to, or maybe he doesn't really grasp that they are a teacher that deserves the same respect that his other teacher deserves. Or he might just have no interest in those other classes, so he acts out out of boredom. I'm not sure what you would do about that, though.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• well we just had an issue with our 7yr old daughter, who is very well behavied, and my advise to you is first, dont jump down his throat about it when he gets home, ( i did this and after a while she got to were she looked sad when she got off the bus b/c she knw if she got any cards pulled i would be mad. talk to the teach, i just yelled that dont help either!!! we came to the conclusion that we have to remember that they are just 6 and 7. so we do allow 1 card pulled per week and if she doesnt get any , then we reward her like today if she comes home and has pulled one that means she hasnt pulled one all week she gets to go to sonic and get to choose one item of her choice, we found if we reward her effort rather than puniching her mistakes it has worked out better,too, we do not allow her any chocolate milk for breakfast, lunch or snack!!!! Take out that sugar and we say a world of diffrence, of course when she gets home, i
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• give her tea or whatever i want too. hahaha start at home, dont try to fix the school problem that was what i was doing and then again, some kids and teachers just dont get along together, their personalities may not clash well, you knw i will pray for you and you can pray for my family, i really hope this helps, keep in touch and let me knw....BREE
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• do not put that kid on any kind of medication my parents had me put one Ridaline for ADHD, NO!!there are other ways to make this better , but not by having them tested for some crap like that!!!!
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2009