Dilated.

I'm 37 weeks today, and yesterday my doctor told me that my cervix is 1cm dilated & extremely soft. And that's obviously a good thing since I'm TOTALLY ready to get this baby out of me... But I was wondering if you had to be dilated a certain amount before you go into labor? Is that a dumb question.. sorry, first pregnancy.

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 1:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well I was 1 cm dialated and the doc said it would be a week. But I ended up in labor that very night. My friend was 5cm dialated for over a week. Moral of the story is, it depends on the woman and the pregnancy.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• No, it's not an exact science. Some moms will have hard and close contractions for a few days at 1 cm. Other moms might walk around for a few weeks at 5 cm, having no clue or notice.
    Getting the cervix checked is just pointless, I guess.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Ugh, thanks ladies. It's not exactly what I was hoping for... but it's an answer :) Thanks.
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 1:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Is this your first baby?
    It is good to start letting go, trusting in this process, having faith that it will work in time. Practice patience! ;-)
    There are every variation in unique experiences pre/early/active labor & delivery as there are unique new people that these experiences bring out of us-- into the world! ;-)

Avoiding unnecessary interventions can help you to have a safer, stronger, more pleasant experience. Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Congratulations! lol, I'm 36 weeks and right there with you as far as being done. Woohoo for dialation! Hopefully it won't be too much longer for you :)
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2009