Has anyone else spent their adult life with ZERO help from family?

My mom threw me out at 18,and never looked back. She literally has done nothing for me in the 21 years of my adult life.
To show you how selfish she is,one time we took my cousins,who were 5 and 8 at the time,to Burger King.
I was a dollar short to get a value meal,and was going to just get a pop. I figured i'd ask my mom for a dollar. I completely forgot about it. A few weeks passed. My mom was acting strangely towards me. I asked her what was up. She asked me if I thought it was important to pay back debts. I was dumbfounded,and said, yessssss,why? She then brought up that dollar.
The thing is,at that time she owed me $50
So I was suppose to give her a dollar,but she thought nothing of the 50 bucks.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 14, 2013 in Relationships

• I'm sorry. I have no contact with my mother or father at all.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:57 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Wow... that is so sad. My family is pretty close, and we help each other in all kinds of ways. Financially, physically, emotionally... whatever. I love my family and I'll do whatever I can for them. They have proven to be the same way with/for me. I can't imagine my life without their presence...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• My mom is my best friend, but she's the only family I have that would give me the buck and not think anything of it. My late DH's family haven't seen the kids is almost a year, and they never call or come by. I'm sorry your own mother hasn't been good to you.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• We must have the same mother!

My parents threw me out at 18 and I've gone my whole life from 18 on with zero help from family!
    Just give her the dollar and be done with it because she'll never change!

Of course I haven't seen my mother in 15 or more years.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• The way I see it, my parents did their job to raise me to adulthood, not carry me through it. They have a life, too. That being said, they would 'help' me at any time I asked. Being the independent cuss that I am, I haven't depended on them for anything since I moved out, 24yrs ago. Not financially, socially, or even for childcare. My life is my job.
    My sisters, however, have 'borrowed' thousands of dollars (new hardwoods for floors, breast augmentation, non-medical dental, vehicles ) with some payback, but not complete...they continue to borrow. They've saved thousands of dollars on childcare, too. Funny how neither sees the irony of that.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:04 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Not that bad- but no we never recieved much help from family- they didn't really have it to give- so we never really asked. If I had been at a fast food place, I would have gotten food for the kids and I would have eaten something later-
    *they did let us live with them at one point-but we paid some of the bills to do it (which was fine)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:17 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Did you tell her , well you owe me $50. The $1 is just part of that $50 you owe me.
    Have not had much help from my family either.

Answer by louise2 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• My family has always helped each other.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I left home at 18. I never asked for help so I never got any :)
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2013