When do you keep a sick child home from activites?

I just read an article that said there's no need to keep a sick child home from school or other activities unless the child has a fever or "doesn't feel able to participate". I tend to lean to the over cautious side keeping my kids away from unsuspecting people if they sound terrible, have extremely runny noses, and of course fevers. I know you can't stop people from getting sick just from keeping your kid home but you can keep your kid from getting worse by not exposing them to more possible "bugs" when they're already ill.

So when do you keep them home?

Mommy22boys

Asked by Mommy22boys at 1:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• When they have a fever, are throwing up, or have diarrhea
    Anonymous

• I keep my sick kids home. We don't vaccinate so the risk of infecting someone could be higher. Also, it is just plain rude to take your sick children out to spread disease. In other countries they seriously frown on it. Why not here?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Fever (below 100 I give motrin and send them on, 100 or higher they stay home), vomitting (always stay home), diahrea (really bad or more than one diaper they stay home), obviously feeling unwell (they stay home), and pink-eye or something contagious like that (they stay home). Coughs last for a week or two longer than a cold, so if you keep them home for that you can be in for a long vacation. Runny noses also can last for ever with my kids (I think a lot of it is allergy and not due to illness), so I wouldn't keep them home just because of that. My decision may also be affected by the age of the kid and the type of activity, so my rules are flexible.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• if they don't go to school is the big one. But fever, anything that can be contagious, including diarreah.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Whenever they were ill. ... all advice about getting over a even a small thing like a cold talks about rest. I can only surmise that this article was another run at trivializing the importance of at-home mothering. WHY SHOULDN'T an ill child get a break? ... 'cause the school won't collect ADA money if he's absent? ... 'cause a worker-bee might miss a day or two of keeping the economy running? ... 'cause, God forbid, the tightly-run schedule will have to wait?

I think that if one ignores an illness, you risk having it get worse and then resorting to medications or antibiotics. And with all the consequences of these (like fighting candida for the rest of your life), I don't think we should give these chemicals to our kids so casually.

Nurse them with warmth, rest and nourishing food and leave other kids to be experimental guinea pigs for drugs & antibiotics.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• The advice in the article is OK for helping your own child get better faster. Heck! Why make your sick child go to soccer practice when she really just wants to sleep or is throwing up? That would be silly.

But the article doesn't talk about spreading the muck to other kids. I agree wtih you there. If my daughter has a fever, she stays home. If she has a runny nose or cough, she stays home - unless we are well past the cold and into the possibly month-long "clean up phase". I agree with Susie - it's rude to spread your child's muck to everyone else around her.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Fever, vomit, and diarrhea are all definite stay at homes. If they have a runny nose that's yellow or green they stay home. If they have a bad cough and a runny nose we stay home. If they have a runny nose but it's clear (and not needing to be blown every two minutes) I let them go. I can't stand it when I see kids out and they have gross yellow/green runny noses and horrible coughs! Keep the germs at home!!!
    pixiemom78

Answer by pixiemom78 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2009