How safe is online dating really?

I know people who have done it and they've lasted years, but truly how safe is it? I've always just seemed against it like it really isn't safe at all...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 14, 2013 in Relationships

• It worked fine for me and that was how I met my husband. I never once had an experience where I feared for my safety. I was pretty smart about meeting people in public places. That's not to say I didn't meet a few oddballs. But I never felt unsafe. I would say it isn't any different from other forms of dating.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I guess it isn't any "less" safe than meeting a random person at a bar or the store. I would say that if I were dating, I would be meeting them several times in a public location.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:29 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Awe well that is amazing. I am finally (after 2.5 years) starting to get over my ex and I'm ready to start talking and just meet new people.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I guess that is also true. Either way when you first meet someone they are considered a stranger.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Like with everything, there are risks and horror stories. You just have to be careful I guess. I never tried it, but my friends mother met her husband about 16 years ago online and they had three more children together
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• If done smart its very safe. I met most of my boyfriends online and my ex husband. I am stiff great friends with one of those ex husbands and have a good relationship with my ex husband
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2013

• It depends on how you handle it. I tried it before. I would talk with the person online for a month or so, then would agree to meet in a very public restaurant for a dinner or something. If I didn't want to pursue it, I'd just leave after that with no guarantees. I gave the person no other personal information as where I lived, etc. If they called, I'd just block them. If they'd email, same thing. If I wanted to pursue it, we'd continue to meet in public places until I felt secure enough to do otherwise. I only had two guys that weren't good. One lied about his age, and I could plainly see that. The other was just weird. The others that I dated were Okay, but most thought of online dating as playing a game. It never lasted or led into anything other than just dating.

I met my husband when I stopped looking for a date.... LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• have to be smart meeting any new person, on line or in any other way

if it seems odd or not right - trust your instincts
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• It's no different than any other way to meet someone. That guy you meet at the grocery store can be just as dangerous as a creep online.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I'm always for online dating because thats how I met my husband. His mom met my best friends dad online and thats how I met my husband!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2013