I am actually a new grandma, babysitting my four-month-old granddaughter a couple times a week. My problem is that she takes extremely short naps, like 30-40 minutes at a time. She does the same thing for my son and daughter-in-law, too. I have tried everything, the white noise machine while she sleeps in her Pack N Play, letting her sleep in her baby recliner, holding her while she naps, etc. Sometimes, she is fine and other times she gets extremely fussy. Any tips?

GranBB

Asked by GranBB at 12:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our middle son did that too. I just went with it, and he finally got to one nap a day, and they lasted longer. (About an hour).. The Dr checked him for everything, and he was a healthy happy baby, and now he's a healthy happy 10 yr old....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Is she gassy?
    Does she want more milk?
    To be held/rocked/bounced?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I'm thinking maybe she's gassy too. Have you tried infant Mylicon gas drops? They sell them at the drug store. If she's bottle fed I would use Dr. Browns bottles they are great for reducing gas too. Formula? Try Similac Sensitive. I only used the liquid premixed but if you use the powder, boil the water & DON'T shake the bottle to mix. It makes too many bubbles. Just swish around or mix slowly with a spoon & then tap the bottle on the counter to pop the remaining bubbles. GL! Use Desitin on the heiney hole at every diaper change too.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Will she go back to sleep if you leave her for a couple minutes? Do you lay her down still awake? Many babies wake while they are transitioning to a different phase of sleep. If they have learned to get themselves to sleep, it's no problem and parents don't usually know the baby woke up.

Answer by missanc at 12:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• My second one did that too! I had to make sure that the room was as dark as night, then he had to be swaddled so tightly because the minute he went in to the dream stage if he was not swaddled tight he would jump and his legs would fly around and it would wake him up! Uggg!!
    My first one had to have his socks on his feet? Why I do not know, but it was his comfort.
    Neither took a pacifier, but a lot of times it's a pacifier, a good chug of milk and fresh diaper
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 1:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Not really, if she sleeps well at night she is probably healthy and fine and this is just her.
    If she has trouble at night then you might have them look at her ears.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2013