Have you ever pissed off an author?

I have. I rated this book 1 star, but didn't leave any additional comments. It was simply not my cup of tea & I didn't finish it. I received an email from the author that said, "Fuck you". I responded, "Will do, but why am I fucking myself?" 2 weeks later, I got this response:
" Brett Williams said,

You were the first reviewer of my first fiction work - and you gave it one star. Not only that, but you admit to not finishing it. Tell me, what have you ever accomplished? I see you have a child in your profile picture; I'll assume it is your child. How would you feel if someone designated your child as 'less than' before they were even old enough to speak?

I said 'fuck you' because all you did was try to undercut a new author. You took it upon yourself to be the first to review something that you did NOT finish. How petty is that? I'm alright with you not liking my work, but to do what you did is.. pitiful.

I hope you never see any fruits come from your labors. Ever."

Wowsa.

ABeaverhausen

Asked by ABeaverhausen at 2:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2013 in Entertainment

• That guy's a douche! I gave him 1, too (well,you know)
    He should have just STFU,or asked you what you didn't like.
    He just keeps it going.
    THE WAR IS ON!
    Muhahahha!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I dont get his reference to your child... Is he saying that your slam on his book is similar to a slam on a child?? But his book was a finished product, ready to be read and rated... it wasn't a child, still growing and developing. His comments were meant to hurt you as a mother, on a personal level. At least that's the way I see it. He isn't staying professional and commenting solely on your ability as a book reveiwer...

And no, I don't think I've ever pissed off an author... But then my reviews of books usually dont go farther than my DH.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Hmmm, someone has some insecurity issues. What would be the difference if you HAD finished the book? Would you get a star for pain and suffering?
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I only use goodreads to keep a tally of the books I read. I don't feel I need to offer a review so I just give stars.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• As a writer, I would not have responded the way he did, but I would have been a little pissed, too. Not that you rated my work with just 1 star, but that you didn't take the time to explain why. Aside from the fact that it's not helpful to other readers since you don't explain, it doesn't help me as a writer. Was it 1 star because you didn't like the topic? Because I made factual errors that bothered you? Because I made spelling errors, or you didn't like my writing style? If it's spelling errors, grammar errors, factual errors, these are things I'd like to know, so I can correct these things going forward. If it's simply you didn't like it, that's helpful to know, too.

He went about it the wrong way, but he does have a point: if you're not going to give some helpful comments (even if I don't like them), then don't bother posting a review like that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• He needs to grow a thicker skin. Once you put something out there it is no longer yours to control. People will have an opinion about it. Was this a self e-pub book? Most authors that have tried to go the traditional route of publishing have received their fair share of rejection. I would be tempted to go back and add to the review that if people want to hear rude and derogatory comments directly from the author that they should leave the same kind of review.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• He could have just as easily said that he was sorry that you didn't like his work and ask specifically what it was that you didn't like.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• I doubt he learned his lesson. He just doesn't get that this is all his fault
    MEN! lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• personally I agree with him, if you are not going to tell why you felt it only deserved one star then you should have left it alone.
    Thats as rude as leaving a penny for a tip to a waitress who sucked, may as well leave nothing she gets the hint either way but why be a dick and leave apenny!
    Anonymous

• The thing is, it's goodreads. You leave stars and move on. If I really hated it, I would have reviewed it properly. The author is showing his unprofessionalism and comparing children to a book. He needs to get over himself.
    ABeaverhausen

Comment by ABeaverhausen (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2013