Has anyone tried either visual therapy or the Tomeselli method of meditation for their adhd child?

My son is 10. After much research, and full evals from a cardiologist, psychologist, and OT, we have tried several types and doses of medicines(stimulants)I feel his focus is definitely improved, but he continues to have poor penmanship, moderate impulsivity at times because he can't slow down, and difficulty developing friendships. I feel like I am not tapping into something that might make some positive changes.He is at a very small school where they work on social skills, and give him more attention which is very helpful. I still feel like something is missing? Any ideas or feedback?

simmy555

Asked by simmy555 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well, you sound like a very caring and involved Mom and I am sure your son is benefitting from that! How long has he been in his current situation.....maybe he just needs more time?
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:00 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Is the penmanship issue related to the adhd? Sometimes when kids have a learning disability all issues get blamed on the one disability. If it is unrelated then I have two suggestions get him on the computer and get him typing as much homework or schoolwork as possible.  My dd who is in 8th. grade is on a 504 plan for school, due to penmanship problems.  She carries a lap top and does her work on it.  At home she uses the big computer to print and to do anyother work.  The other suggestion is handwriting without tears.  It is a program that "retrains" the brain to write properly. 

Anonymous

• Yes, we have done visual therapy with our daughter. She is age 9. However she had not be dx with ADDHD. I can not say that she did not have it though. He attention span was 0 and she could not sit still, was very easily distracted. We put her in this therapy because a friend of mine had a son that it helped. It was a 6mth long ordeal. Was rather expensive but we did not care if it helped and It DID !!! Wow, what a diffrence we could see in her. I would encourage you to look further into this and consider it.
    tmd148

Answer by tmd148 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2009