Fellow Christians, What's with this.... "King James Version Bible Only"?

I own a King James Version and I read it all the time but I also own several different translations like the NIV and the NLT(which is my fave). I was looking into some Christian groups here at CM and they are "KJV ONLY!!!" So what I'd like to know is what's the deal with that? Why are some so against other translations?

I have a NLT Life Application Study Bible and it's the best tool I've ever used in studying the Bible. It gives you sooo much info and is so much easier to understand. I look at it like this.....

When you go to church the pastor uses references of Bible verse and then expands on them, gives examples that are relevant to this day in age and uses termonolgy that is common to us now so you can understand it better......to me, that is what other translations are....they are for study purposes and to aid in understanding.

Please share your view....

deedee3849

Asked by deedee3849 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Bible translations usually fall on a scale between more literal/formal and more dynamic.

Literal translations try to keep to the original text as much as possible preserving word order and things. They're best for serious bible study - not so easy to read.

Dynamic translations perserve the original intent of the text but are easier to read. However, they do loose subtlty and it's easier for a translators’ doctrinal views to slip into the text.

Either one can be taken to the extreme - I think it's important to strike a balance and choose a translation that meets the needs you have at that time.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I personally believe the King James version is the most accurately translated but I would never judge someone for choosing/preferring a different one.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I want to add this disclaimer.....

I'm not looking to debate this or argue about it. I just truly want to know why others feel it's unacceptable to look at other translations.

I have been a Christian for many years and I do know some who stick with KJV but they are verrrrryyyyy conservative and I thought it just had to do with that.

deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I did some research and found KJV is not the most accurately translated. Long history and the reasons behind why it's the most used however... I grew up on it in a pentecostal church. I personally use several translations - NKJV, NLT (for ease of reading), ASV and Complete Jewish bible (the last two I believe are probably the most accurate translations - closest to the original language).
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Okayt christians can not have it two ways . the bible has numerous translations yet it is supposed to be a perfect work by the hand of god ? yet the cathloc church has removed many books from the bible. If you read the jewish version the TANAKH , (the oldest version if you will of the old testment it ) it says thou shalt not murder unjustly not kill. so perhaps tranlation does matter. perhaps that the bible has been touched by the hand of man does matter. It does give food for thought. kj is probly the more accurate but then so would the inspired version. dependends on which christian church group you got to. just food for thought.:)
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 2:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I prefer the KJV - I think it stands the {test} better when placed next to the Jewish translations.

Plus I like the way it speaks ... very poetic :-)

But I also have about a dozen other translations too. I DO NOT have, nor will I have the Mormon, JW, or Catholic versions. They are too out there!

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• hypersquirrel - yet the cathloc church has removed many books from the bible.

Huh?  What books do you think Catholics removed from the Bible?  The Old Testament took over one thousand years to compile, and the list of inspired books grew continuously as God’s word was revealed.  Early Christians began writing texts - some of which would eventually be included in the New Testiment.   Over a period of hundreds of years the Catholic Church discovered which books should be included in the BIble (aka the canon of the Bible).    After the Reformation Protestants removed books from the Old Testiment - but Catholics didn't remove any books from the bible.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I have always wondered about the King James Version as well. Also, there have been so many discoveries of ancient texts and there is a much better understanding of Herbrew, Aramaic, and Greek languages now than when King James decided to have the Bible edited. First, how is it more accuratley translated when complete books have been removed.

Also, I find it very interesting that King James was gay.

snowgirl - Mormons use the King James Version as well.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• snowgirl79 - But I also have about a dozen other translations too. I DO NOT have, nor will I have the Mormon, JW, or Catholic versions.  They are too out there!

Umm - Mormons use the King James Version of the Bible. (They also have the Book of Mormon, D&C, and the Pearl of Great Price - but the KJV is the BIble they use.) And why do you think Catholic versions are "out there"? Catholic bibles do have 7 additional books in the OT that Protestants removed from the Bible after the Reformation. But those books were in the Scripture used by Jesus, the apostles and the early church and were included in all bibles (including the original KJV) until the removed in 1825.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I think it just depends on the denomination you belong too. Some are more resistant to "newer" translations. Kind of like some denominations have stricter rules on clothing, hair, dancing, etc. My own personal opinion is that the Bible is a tool. God will use it to teach you no matter what the translation if you are just open enough to listen to Him.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2009