Is it possible to be a surrogate at the same time you are pregnant with your baby?

I have a good friend and her and her husband are unable to have children. Me and my husband are going to have another baby in a few years and it will have to be in vitro and I wanted to know if it was possible to have mine put in baby along with theirs. My biggest fear of being a surrogate is that I would be attacted to the baby and not want to give it up. So I thought if I was pregnant with both I would have my baby and they could have theirs. I would not be attacted and my friend and I would be all the closer and our children would grow up together. Any thought and is it possible.

sexzy99kitty04

Asked by sexzy99kitty04 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Umm, so you mean be preg. with twins? How would you know which baby is yours? This seems kind of odd...sorry.
    Anonymous

• i actually think that sounds like a really good idea.. but then again I am a idiotic formula feeding mother. :)

I don't know if thats possible or not.. never heard of it before.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• That doesn't sound feasible to me. Unless they were both IVF, but I don't think you would know who was who's baby without a blood test. Sounds a little too out there to me.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Not so sure that kind of thing is possible. Then what would you do if one baby survived and the other didn't? You gonna hand over your friends baby, that would rightfully be hers, and not have your own....or visa versa? IF it was even possible, they should be seperate pregnancies, for the health of the babies and the mental and physical health of you. Be logical about it.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• If it is through in-vitro then I think it is possible. They can place the eggs in but there's no guarantee that both will attach and you will not know which one attached, if that happened, until a DNA test could be done. You also would not know which one was yours until a DNA test was done.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Any thing is possible!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• or what you could do is just be a surrogate and as soon as you have that baby and you can have one of your own do that... just an idea :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I sent an email to a surrogate website asking them the question and I will post the answer when I get it back.
    sexzy99kitty04

Answer by sexzy99kitty04 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• if you can then they can do a DNA test at birth so you know which baby belongs to which mommy.
    Haven't heard of that but i would think it would be possible. Like if you were a surrogate and you ovulated and get preg at the same time the other baby started to from. i've heard of twins with different dads because the mom got preg with one guy and she had another egg that was fetilized by the other guy. IDK mabe you can
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 2:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It sounds possible, but there are a lot of "what ifs" involved. What if only one embryo takes and you don't know which one until birth? What if one splits and you end up carrying 3 babies? What if one splits and the other doesn't take so you think you have baby for each of you but really it's two babies for one of you? The "what ifs" are a little scary to think about.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2009