Other parents with kids on ADHD type medication... did your doctor do this?

We have been discussing meds for my 8 year old and the psychiatrist has ordered an EKG and full blood panel before starting. I am super happy she is being cautious but I learned from a few friends that their doctors did NOT do anything like this- they just prescribed. Got me to wondering what the norm was.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2013 in Kids' Health

• My dd isn't on meds (not sure if we'll try them), so idk what the norm is. My psychiatrist prescribed Ritalin for me though without all the blood work, etc. If we do try meds for dd, I will request it be done if the doc doesn't recommend it. It sounds like you have a really great doctor!
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• not at that point yet BUT I agree you have a great doc!
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 5:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Your doc's a keeper. My stepson has been on different meds for years. He had all that done about halfway through the process to see if the meds were contributing to his slow growth rate. You can never be too careful.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• No, he didn't have that done. The doctor gave me 4 questionnaires, one for us and one for each of his three teachers to fill out. They went in to a lot of detail about the types of behaviors we see, how our son reacts to different things, etc. Then when the doctor prescribed him something, he started him on a super low dose.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Now if I could just find a therapist.. ::sigh:: No one seems to take his insurance OR they are not taking new patients.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• No, my boys' doctors didn't do that. But we did have to go in very regularly so they could be weighed and measured, to make sure their growth wasn't being stunted (and since my oldest is now only 3 inches shorter than me, I think that's a resounding "Nope!" lol).

Unless you have any kind of heart disease, liver problems or whatever, I'd just chalk it up to a great doctor and be happy! :)
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• Look for therapist through the local churches many of them have clinics that will help you for a low cost with or without the insurance and many are willing to take new patients. Our doctor didn't do any extra testing but he is closely monitoring his growth and for any negative side effects.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• he will go in every 3-4 weeks to be checked and get blood work and a ekg once a year as a precaution because underlying heart issues or metabolic issues can cause more problems than they help is what she said.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• It's very hard to say without knowing medical details, but I will tell you that lots of docs nowadays like to do the blood work panel and additional tests...it helps them do their job better...I can't say if it's necessary or not though...I'm guessing you have good insurance.
    CouponKO.

Answer by CouponKO. at 7:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2013

• We've talked a little bit about my son. I think it was you that pointed me in the direction of ODD with my son. I went to our doctor and she wasn't comfortable diagnosing because the symptoms were nearly identical to ADD, so she sent us to a specialist. After 6-7 months of testings and giving us other tools to try, the psychiatrist? (I can never remember) recommended we start my 9 year old on meds. Since our doctor we'd been going to for 8.5 years moved right before Christmas we had to find a new one.

Anyway, long story short, the doc we finally chose wrote us an Rx for Concerta. The pharmacy filled it with the generic version, and we're thrilled with the results so far. We're still in the first month of using it, but WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! in my child.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2013