As some of you know, my mom has breast cancer. It's been about 2.5 months since her original diagnosis. She's had a bunch of additional tests, and meetings with a boat load of doctors. She originally decided on a mastectomy and reconstruction, because she is a larger busted woman and didn't want to feel lopsided. Good, fine. She decided (she is always the last to order in a restaurant because she cannot decide and it's almost always like she's under pressure whether it's been 5 minutes or an hour and a half.)
Now she is second guessing herself and thinking a bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction. I think it's fine and actually a good decision because this woman needs to take the road with the least amount of work. Seriously, she doesn't want to have to do anything in this to get and keep herself well. This worries me in the sense that if she is barely a player in her own life, how do I guide her? I told her my opinion and she acts like she's barely heard it.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to guide her? I'm pretty sure it's easier to herd cats.
The bilateral may be best, considering the possibility of cancer developing in her other breast can occur.
Answer by 3libras at 5:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2013
I'd say "I think you are right to forgo the reconstruction now & how about we decide on that later on". Say you'll take her for a good bra when she gets her prosthesis'. For her that's probably the best way to go. Best wishes.
Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2013
Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2013
Answer by Ballad at 5:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2013
Answer by Dardenella at 5:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2013
Answer by gdiamante at 11:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2013
Answer by booklover545 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2013
Answer by SissyAnn141 at 3:53 AM on Jan. 23, 2013
Most Liked Posts